1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A vacuously existing function?

1. Mar 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Conjecture. Suppose [itex]a\in \mathbb{R}[/itex]. Suppose [itex]f[/itex] is a real-valued function defined on [itex][a,a]=\{a\}[/itex]. Suppose [itex]x\in [a,a][/itex]. Then there exists a function [itex]\phi[/itex] defined by [itex]{\displaystyle \phi(t)=\frac{f(t)-f(x)}{t-x}\quad(a<t<a,t\neq x)}[/itex].

(i) Before proving (or disproving this) does this conjecture make sense in the first place?

(ii) If make sense, does it truely exist?

2. Relevant equations

Relevant posts are:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=585386
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=338366

3. The attempt at a solution

(i) If I kinda restate this conjecture, it becomes:

Conjecture. Suppose [itex]a\in \mathbb{R}[/itex]. Suppose [itex]f[/itex] is a real-valued function defined on [itex][a,a]=\{a\}[/itex]. Suppose [itex]x\in [a,a][/itex]. Then there exists a function [itex]{\displaystyle \phi:\{t\in \mathbb{R}: a<t<a\} \to \mathbb{R} : t \mapsto \frac{f(t)-f(x)}{t-x}}[/itex].

So it seems make sense in the ground of first order language and ZFC. Isn't it?

(ii) I think this function is simply [itex]\emptyset[/itex] because the domain is empty set.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no number [itex]t[/itex] satisfying [itex]a < t < a[/itex]. Therefore, there is no [itex]t[/itex] for which you have defined [itex]\phi(t)[/itex]. So you can say that you have vacuously created a function whose domain is the empty set. I'm not sure why it merits being called a "conjecture" or what you hope to achieve with this function.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  4. Mar 10, 2012 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

P.S. You can equally well have said the following. Let S be any set (even the empty set) and define

[tex]\phi : \emptyset \rightarrow S[/tex]

As the domain is empty, you don't need to specify any "formula" for how to "evaluate" [itex]\phi[/itex].

Yes, this function exists. It is the set of points (a, s) such that [itex]a \in \emptyset[/itex] and [itex]\phi(a) = s[/itex]. Since there is no [itex]a[/itex] satisfying [itex]a \in \emptyset[/itex], the function is simply the empty set, as you indicated.

5. Mar 10, 2012 #4
    Maybe I do not know clearly the meaning of conjecture. Anyway what I hope to acheive with this function is to solve some problems that I posted on this post:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3808228&posted=1#post3808228

6. Mar 10, 2012 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, to answer your question in post #3 of that thread, yes, your quotient definition defines an empty function, and that empty function exists (in the same sense in which the empty set exists). There's no logical issue that I can see with your definition.

It's also true that your statement in post #5 of that thread is vacuously true for any value L.

However, the (usual) definition of a limit isn't merely that statement. I don't have Rudin here with me, so I can't check his definition, but most authors define the limit of a function at a point x as follows:

"Let [itex]f : A \rightarrow B[/itex] be a function, and let [itex]x[/itex] be an accumulation point of [itex]A[/itex]. Then we write [itex]\lim_{t \rightarrow x} f(t) = L[/itex] if for every [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex]..."

i.e. the notion of a limit is defined only at accumulation points of the domain. Since the empty set has no accumulation points, the notion of a limit of an empty function is undefined.

7. Mar 13, 2012 #6
    Yes, what you say is exactly true and I agree with this to a full extent. But if you read my post carefully, you will see that the problem I proposed arises exactly because of what you said, that is, because the notion of limit is undefined at a point which is not a limit point, I can't use Rudin's definition to get the deriviative of a function defined at a singleton. (The problem is not of limit-definition but derivative-definition.)

Anyway as for this post, please answer to that post.

You know, all I wanna get is a proper definition of derivative that I can use on a function defined on a singleton (at an isolated point). But maybe (what I'm doing) it's something time-wasting probably because general mathematicians wouldn't care about the derivative of a function at an isolated point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook