A very unconventional life plan

• Thread starter 1230wc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life Plan
In summary: I would suspect that this would not be the case for most people, so this might not be a great option for you. In summary, you are doing well in undergrad, taking it easy w/ a below average courseload. But you will actually graduate early due to AP credits. You plan on working part time and getting a Masters in Statistics and then retiring. There are some part-time jobs available, but they are hard to find and you don't plan on having a family on your part time wages.
1230wc
I'm doing well in undergrad, taking it easy w/ a below average courseload. But i'll actually graduate early due to AP credits. I'll get at least an MS (in statistics maybe?), but my plan sounds unconventional after that.

I'm a prty quite person and love my peace of mind more than anything else. I figure I'll be very happy w/ 40K or so. So Why don't I just work part time w/ my MS all my life? Then I'd have tons of free time to relax and do cheap fun things like I do now in college. My parents keep telling me to get a PHD but I don't think I'm dedicated enough to work to do it... As far as work goes, I like interesting and meaningful projects; I figure an MS can prolly get on research jobs but prolly working under PHDs, but that's OK for me..

nobody really thinks like me. I go to a top school and the ppl there are all quite ambitious.

Anything flawed w/ my plan? Can i get meaningful part time jobs? Anyone else w/ similar plans? I'm slightly worried that i'll regret not doing a PHD and not living up to my full potential, but I don't want to stress out for 5 years when i don't plan on working full time afterwards anyways. I like research, but not as a fulltime job (i guess same goes for many other things). thanks all :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The only flaw is that you don't really sound like an attractive candidate for *any* job. Interviewers like to see a bit of ambition, and at the risk of judging you by a single post, that seems to be lacking.

But assuming that your field is in demand enough that there *are* part-time jobs available, you should be able to slack off indefinitely.

Do you plan on raising a family on your part time job wages?

I figure that the one true freedom we have in this life is how we spend the precious time we are allotted. It's your life - nobody can answer these questions for you.

1230wc said:
I'm a prty quite person and love my peace of mind more than anything else. I figure I'll be very happy w/ 40K or so. So Why don't I just work part time w/ my MS all my life?

Because most professional jobs are full time or nothing. I'd be more than happy to work part time with a part time salary and spend half my time doing something else (like astrophysics), but my employer won't let me do that, and as far as I can tell, no employer that I can find will let you do that.

I do know of some contractors that work full time for a few months and then take a break between contracts, but this is very hard to do, because you are spending a lot of your time looking for new contracts, and you get in a lot of trouble if the economy goes bad.

My parents keep telling me to get a PHD but I don't think I'm dedicated enough to work to do it...

Don't get a Ph.D. because your parents want you to get it. Also, you can get decent enough jobs with Masters in Statistics, so there is no real reason to get a Ph.D. if your heart isn't in it.

Anything flawed w/ my plan?

See above.

I like research, but not as a fulltime job (i guess same goes for many other things). thanks all :)

I'd much rather do investment banking as a part time job, and if anyone has any ideas for how to do it, I'm game. The basic problem is that hiring an employee takes a certain fixed cost, so hiring two part-time employees is much more expensive than one full time one. The other issue is that most professional jobs are salaried work, in which the employer tries to squeeze as much work out of you as they can. I don't punch a time clock, but the fact that I don't punch a time clock is a bad thing in some ways because the concept of "overtime" doesn't exist.

twofish-quant said:
I'd be more than happy to work part time with a part time salary and spend half my time doing something else (like astrophysics), but my employer won't let me do that, and as far as I can tell, no employer that I can find will let you do that.

At the risk of encouraging the OP, I've actually found a few. When I wanted to start pursuing physics a few years ago, I managed to find a part-time job that enabled me to devote 2-3 days per week to the job and the remainder to my MS studies.

However, I am far from being fresh-out in CS, and I've had years of *exactly* the experience this employer needed, so they were willing to accept me part-time rather than look for a full-time employee who would be less of a fit.

So it's not totally impossible... but going back to my point about ambition, I don't think I showed a lack of drive to them. A lack of sense, perhaps... :smile:

You can try to become a scientific programmer. i know a few at my university. They don't need to be paid much and they don't need to be on a tight schedule or anything.

What is a "very unconventional life plan"?

A "very unconventional life plan" refers to a unique and non-traditional approach to setting goals and making decisions in one's life. It may involve breaking away from societal norms and expectations to pursue a path that is personally fulfilling and meaningful.

Why would someone choose a very unconventional life plan?

There are many reasons why someone may choose a very unconventional life plan. Some may feel restricted by traditional societal expectations and want to explore alternative paths. Others may have unique passions and interests that do not fit into a conventional lifestyle. Ultimately, it is a personal decision based on individual values and goals.

What are the potential benefits of a very unconventional life plan?

One potential benefit of a very unconventional life plan is the opportunity for personal growth and self-discovery. By breaking away from societal norms, individuals may gain a deeper understanding of themselves and their values. Additionally, unconventional paths may lead to unique experiences and opportunities for success.

What are some challenges that may come with a very unconventional life plan?

There are several challenges that may come with a very unconventional life plan. For example, it may be difficult to find support and understanding from family and friends who may not understand or agree with one's choices. Additionally, unconventional paths may also come with financial and practical challenges.

Can a very unconventional life plan be successful?

Yes, a very unconventional life plan can be successful. Success is subjective and can be defined in different ways by different people. Some may measure success by financial stability, while others may prioritize personal fulfillment and happiness. As long as an individual is satisfied with their choices and achieving their desired goals, their unconventional life plan can be considered successful.