1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A wavy problem what will happen?

1. Apr 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When I was reading waves from my book I noticed that the part of string in wave motion should be longer than the part of string not in wave motion . But throughout we have the same string, so to consider this change either the source will come ahead or the string will expand(increase its length) a little bit. So which of the two will happen?

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution
    -

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2015 #2
    Hmmm. I never really thought about that.
    I think that most real strings would stretch if they were fixed at both ends. For example, if you pluck a guitar string, the string will pull on the guitar at each end where it is attached to the guitar. The string stretches a little, and the guitar bends a little.
    If the string was fixed at one end and not at the other, and you send a pulse from the fixed end towards the loose end, then I think that the loose end would be pulled towards you a little bit.

This is under the assumption that you are talking about transverse waves.

4. Apr 20, 2015 #3
    So what I made out of your reply is that the answer to my question is conditional . When both ends are bound then the only option remains for the string is that it will stretch. But for the case when one end is free , I have a problem . We know that the person has to pull the string for continuous wave motion. So shouldn't here too the string elongate?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted