A123 Systems files for bankruptcy

In summary, A123 Systems is filing for Chapter 11. The company received $249.1 million grant from the US Department of Energy and $125 million in tax credits and incentives from the Michigan Economic Development Corp. It remains to be seen how the debtors will run the company and if the jobs promised here in the US will still be available. Good managers and engineers have been leaving the company for better opportunities in droves, but the government's support for companies with good proposals is still effective.
SunnyBoyNY said:
Tax credits are a boost for a start-up company (I work for one) but are generally not refundable. Thus, the local taxpayer does not feel the difference.
A tax credit is dollar for dollar reduction in revenue, which some other business or person then has to make up later, often through increased taxes. A123 received grants from the fed.

Physics news on Phys.org
mheslep said:
A tax credit is dollar for dollar reduction in revenue, which some other business or person then has to make up later, often through increased taxes. A123 received grants from the fed.

A123 received money from the fed, certainly. Why would local governments have to make up revenue lost due to tax breaks on new companies when there had been no income from such an entity prior to the tax break?

Say I open a pizza place on my street. I pay the electric bill, thrash pickup. Taxes on desolate offices have been minimal. The local government does not necessarily see a hike in its expenditures that would justify the dollar for dollar argument.

rootX said:

/me resubscribes.

pats puppy on the head, and says; "Good dog".

/me re-unsubscribes

:wink:
-----------------------------
"means to an end" has some nasty connotations. But if the "means" is simply taking your first step in the morning with your left foot, rather than your right foot, then, it's pretty much meaningless.

SunnyBoyNY said:
A123 received money from the fed, certainly. Why would local governments have to make up revenue lost due to tax breaks on new companies when there had been no income from such an entity prior to the tax break?
Either the firm made money and would have paid taxes or it did not. If the firm made no money then it received no tax credit. Either the tax credit had value or it did not.

Say I open a pizza place on my street. I pay the electric bill, thrash pickup. Taxes on desolate offices have been minimal. The local government does not necessarily see a hike in its expenditures that would justify the dollar for dollar argument.
These are not city property taxes but state business income taxes in the Michigan case - have to be for the term 'credit' to apply.

hmm missed that news apparently. Sad it went down, the products they made were actually quite good in comparison to other lifepo batteries.