A_n := n^(1/n) - 1 yields a divergent series

In summary, Danny is trying to find a way to avoid using the exponential integral in his proof that the series 2^{1/n} - 1 is divergent. He is looking into the Taylor expansion of each term and whether or not the integral test is a good start.
divergentgrad

Homework Statement

I know that if [itex]a_n := n^{1/n} - 1[/itex], then [itex]\Sigma a_n[/itex] is divergent. I know this (by the integral test) because the integral of [itex]2^{1/n} - 1[/itex] from 1 to infinity is infinite. However, I want to avoid using non-elementary functions (here, the exponential integral) in my proof that this series is divergent.

Can anyone see a way of doing this?2. Homework Equations /attempted solution
[itex] lim\ sup_{n\to\infty} a_n^{1/n} = 1[/itex], so the root test is inconclusive. Comparison is getting me nowhere. I'm thinking about seeing whether using the Taylor expansion of each term of the sequence shows what I want to show...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the integral test is a good start. So we must prove that

[itex]\int_1^{+\infty}{(2^{1/x}-1)dx}[/itex]

diverges.

Perhaps you can use the Taylor expansion of [itex]2^{1/x}[/itex] to find a good lower bound??

micromass said:
I think the integral test is a good start. So we must prove that

[itex]\int_1^{+\infty}{(2^{1/x}-1)dx}[/itex]

diverges.

Perhaps you can use the Taylor expansion of [itex]2^{1/x}[/itex] to find a good lower bound??

Yes, thanks. As you'll see under number 2 above, that's exactly what I was considering doing.

How about this:

n^(1/n) - 1 > 2^(1/n) - 1;
The definite integral of ( 2^(1/n) - 1 ) dn from 1 to infinity equals to
the definite integral of (2^x - 1)(-1/(x^2)) dx from 1 to 0 by making a substitution (x=1/n),
which, of course, equals to
the definite integral of ( (2^x )/(x^2) - 1/(x^2) )dx from 0 to 1.
Let f(x) = (2^x )/(x^2) - 1/(x^2), g(x)= - 1/(x^2) , then we have f(x) > g(x) for 0<x<1

Since we know the definite integral of g(x) dx from 0 to 1 equals to infinity,
we obtain that
The definite integral n^(1/n) - 1 dn from 1 to infinity also equals to infinity. [Finished]

Danny.
email: danny.s.deng.ds@gmail.com

1. What does the series A_n := n^(1/n) - 1 represent?

The series A_n := n^(1/n) - 1 represents a sequence of numbers where each term is calculated by taking the n-th root of n and subtracting 1.

2. Why is the series A_n := n^(1/n) - 1 considered divergent?

This series is considered divergent because as n approaches infinity, the limit of A_n does not converge to a finite value. In other words, the terms in the series do not approach a specific number, but rather continue to increase without bound.

3. Can the series A_n := n^(1/n) - 1 be manipulated to converge?

No, the series A_n := n^(1/n) - 1 cannot be manipulated to converge because the behavior of the series is determined by the behavior of the n-th root of n, which increases without bound as n approaches infinity.

4. How does the divergence of A_n := n^(1/n) - 1 compare to other divergent series?

The divergence of A_n := n^(1/n) - 1 is similar to other divergent series such as the harmonic series and the geometric series with a ratio greater than 1. These series also have terms that increase without bound as n approaches infinity.

5. Are there any practical applications for the series A_n := n^(1/n) - 1?

While this series may not have any direct practical applications, it is a commonly used example in mathematics to illustrate the concept of divergent series. It also has connections to other areas of mathematics such as calculus and number theory.