Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abaqus Ultra High Molecular Weight Poly Ethylene (UHMWPe) Material Modelling

1. Jul 30, 2012 #1
    Hey there,

I am currently working on creating models in Abaqus of Wrist implants to see how they respond under different loading conditions. I have used Mimics to export orphan meshes of the wrist bones and also imported the wrist implant itself. My simulations seems to be running fine all apart from one component. One of the components in the wrist implant is UHMWPe which keeps throwing up errors in the results.

I am not a huge expert with Abaqus and have just defined the material as a simple elastic material with a young's modulus of 3.4 x 10^8[Pa] & a Poisson’s ratio of 0.4.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to define the material properties of UHMWPe in a a more complex and realistic manner? Detailed answers would be appreciated as the simulation now takes a day and a bit to complete.

Thanks,

Euan.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2012 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Modeling some polymers accurately in FEA requires the use of hyperelastic elements and accurate material data in the hyperelastic regime. It will all depend on what kind of material data you have regarding the material in question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook