Abaqus Ultra High Molecular Weight Poly Ethylene (UHMWPe) Material Modelling

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
euanfoster
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hey there,

I am currently working on creating models in Abaqus of Wrist implants to see how they respond under different loading conditions. I have used Mimics to export orphan meshes of the wrist bones and also imported the wrist implant itself. My simulations seems to be running fine all apart from one component. One of the components in the wrist implant is UHMWPe which keeps throwing up errors in the results.

I am not a huge expert with Abaqus and have just defined the material as a simple elastic material with a young's modulus of 3.4 x 10^8[Pa] & a Poisson’s ratio of 0.4.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to define the material properties of UHMWPe in a a more complex and realistic manner? Detailed answers would be appreciated as the simulation now takes a day and a bit to complete.

Thanks,

Euan.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Modeling some polymers accurately in FEA requires the use of hyperelastic elements and accurate material data in the hyperelastic regime. It will all depend on what kind of material data you have regarding the material in question.