Abelian groups from the definition of a field

In summary, the order of a finite field can be a power of a prime, but Z/nZ is not a field if n is not a prime.
dodo
Just a pregrad-level curiosity:

I see often repeated (in the Wikipedia page defining "Field", for one) that, from the field's axioms, it can be deduced that F,+ and F\{0},* are both commutative groups.

Yet, the closure property of * is only guaranteed on F, not necessarily on F\{0}. If I'm not mistaken, the finite field Z/6Z is a counter-example: 2*3=0 (mod 6), so {1,2,3,4,5} cannot be a group under multiplication. Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dodo said:
the finite field Z/6Z
Z/6Z isn't a field...

Hm, I think the trick here is that Z/6Z (assuming I understand your terminology... I think I would call this [tex]Z_6[/tex]) is not a finite field. The only finite fields of this type are of order p, where p is a prime number. When p is prime the multiplicative group will always be closed under multiplication.

If you think about it, it would not make sense anyway for [tex]Z_6[/tex] to be a field. For example, if [tex]Z_6[/tex] is a field, then 2 would have to have a multiplicative inverse [tex]2^{-1}[/tex]. But what do we get when we multiply [tex]2^{-1}[/tex], whatever it is, by 0? We get... 0, not 3 as we should. I think there are other violations of the field axioms as well. [tex]Z_6[/tex] is only an additive group.

so as you observe, it must be a theorem that in a field, F-{0} is closed for *. i recall that as one of the first lemmas proved in abstract algebra. i believe it uses the fact that every non zero element has an inverse, and the definition of a unit for multiplication, plus the distributive property of multiplication. ohh, and the fact that 0 and 1 are different elements.

Thanks for all your answers; that the order of a finite field has to have some restrictions (being a prime is one) makes now more sense.

I suppose the only think needed to show the closure of F\{0} under * is that, given two elements a,b of F, both non-zero, a*b cannot be zero. If a*b=0, since b is non-zero and therefore has an inverse b', then multiplying by b', a*b*b' = 0, and a=0, which contradicts the initial statement.

Dodo said:
Thanks for all your answers; that the order of a finite field has to have some restrictions (being a prime is one) makes now more sense.
I want to point out that the order of a finite field can be a power of a prime. However, Z/nZ is a field iff n is a prime. If p is a prime divisor of n but n/p isn't 1, then p*(n/p)=0 (mod n), i.e. Z/nZ admits a zero divisor. So Z/nZ can be a field only if n is a prime. The converse follows from the fact that nZ is a maximal ideal in Z when n is a prime (it's trivially a prime ideal and hence a maximal ideal because Z is a PID).

It is a curious asymmetry; then there cannot be any isomorphism from a finite field F of order 9 to Z/9Z; if a is an element of F such that f(a)=3, a*a would be the 0 element of F. I'll try to look up examples of such finite field.

Last edited:
Dodo said:
It is a curious asymmetry; then there cannot be any isomorphism from a finite field F of order 9 to Z/9Z; if a is an element of F such that f(a)=3, a*a would be the 0 element of F. I'll try to look up examples of such finite field.

Well, 9 is not a prime therefore a finite field of order 9 does not exist.

JasonRox said:
Well, 9 is not a prime therefore a finite field of order 9 does not exist.
Except, of course, y'know, that one that does exist. :tongue:

Dodo said:
[tex]
GF(3^2) \cong \mathbf{Z}[x] / \langle 3, x^2 + 1 \rangle
[/tex]

Last edited:
[itex]\langle 3, x^2 + 1 \rangle[/itex] is the ideal generated by 3 and x² + 1. So, the example you linked is a ring of reduced representatives for the one I posted.

(In fact, it turns out that all finite fields of order 9 are isomorphic)

Yeah, when I said "The only finite fields of this type are of order p, where p is a prime number.", by "of this type" I meant the [tex]Z_n[/tex] fields, the ones obtained by applying a modulus to the integers. Sorry if I was unclear!

Hurkyl said:
Except, of course, y'know, that one that does exist. :tongue:

[tex]
GF(3^2) \cong \mathbf{Z}[x] / \langle 3, x^2 + 1 \rangle
[/tex]

Thanks for pointing that out. o:)

1. What is an Abelian group?

An Abelian group is a mathematical structure that satisfies the properties of associativity, commutativity, identity element, and inverse element. It is named after the mathematician Niels Henrik Abel.

2. What is the definition of a field?

A field is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements, along with two binary operations, addition and multiplication. It satisfies the properties of commutativity, associativity, distributivity, and existence of additive and multiplicative identity elements.

3. How are Abelian groups related to fields?

Abelian groups are a fundamental part of the definition of a field. In fact, a field is an Abelian group under addition and a group under multiplication, satisfying additional properties such as the existence of multiplicative inverses.

4. Can every field be considered as an Abelian group?

Yes, every field can be considered as an Abelian group under addition. However, not every element in a field has a multiplicative inverse, so it cannot be considered as an Abelian group under multiplication.

5. What are some examples of Abelian groups from the definition of a field?

Some examples of Abelian groups from the definition of a field include the set of rational numbers, real numbers, and complex numbers under addition, and the set of non-zero real numbers under multiplication.