Abiotic oil theory vs fossil fuel theory

In summary, the abiotic oil theory suggests that oil is not biotic in origin but is instead formed from deep within the Earth. There are two schools of thought on this topic, with the majority of research supporting the idea that oil is not biotic in origin. The theory suggests that oil is replenished through fault lines in sedimentary rock, though this has been disputed by further studies.
Guts
So I'm starting to read up on some of this stuff on the internet but most the argument counterargument seems to be from the same sources Gold vs peak oil theorist. Is this debate so far concluded in academics that no research is being published in journals? What is the curret status of the abiotic oil theory? I realize that the subject matter is hard to study since we can't reliably monitor what's going on deep with in the Earth as far as I know. So are we going to have to wait several decades for proof/disproof or do we have enough evidence from what comes out of the ground to end the debate?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Sorry, I'm lazy, can you sum up what you know about the 'abiotic oil theory' for me.

All the oil that has been successfully mined thus far, is to my knowledge, biotic in origin. In fact a lot of research has gone into this, I'd go as far as to say, that hydrocarbon evolution has been very well researched indeed!

With the state of science today, we can say with confidence that oil is not formed in the deep earth; even though it is true that the deep Earth is extremely difficult to monitor, this should not be a factor concerning us. Even if it is in the deep Earth (highly improbable!) the energy expended in drilling for it would exceed the energy returned by the oil itself. Also trying to make oil abiotically ourselves would probably be a similarly fruitless endeavour.

billiards said:
Even if it is in the deep Earth (highly improbable!) the energy expended in drilling for it would exceed the energy returned by the oil itself.

Not saying the theory is true but, from what I recall, part of the theory has the abiotic oil seeping from deep underground and replenishing existing deposits.

Even if that were true the hydraulic conductivity of deep rock and oil is quite low, low enough to make waiting for the reservoir to replenish an expensive process.

There are two schools of thought among those who hold the abiotic oil theory, one school thinks that replenishment is too slow to be of any use, while the other claims replenishment that keeps pace with, or even outpaces, withdrawl. From what I've read, claims about rapid replenishment involve methane and light oil through fault lines in sedimentary rock. However, much of the replenishment numbers seem to have been debunked by further studies. Here is a basic paper on the issue with good references.

http://www.energybulletin.net/2423.html

Last edited:
If oil comes only from fossil fuel, then why is oil being found at 30,000 feet, and organic matter isn't found below 16,000 feet?.
Just asking.

gaveupontv said:
If oil comes only from fossil fuel, then why is oil being found at 30,000 feet, and organic matter isn't found below 16,000 feet?.
Just asking.
A lot of the really deep oil is in sedimentry basins where there has been tens and hundreds of millions of years of sedimentry deposits from outflowing rivers. For example a lot of the very deep stuff in the gulf of Mexico basicaly has the Appalachians lying on top of it. Since they rose they have been being weathered and that sediment has been flowing out to the Mississipi delta. This has left the GOM with a huge amount of sediment where the weight of it pushes the older layers deeper into the crust.

I can't speak for other very deep oil deposits such as Tupi\ Sugar Loaf in Brazil but this is linked to the break up of Africa and South American with mirroring deep water deposits of the coast of Angola.

1. What is the difference between abiotic oil theory and fossil fuel theory?

The abiotic oil theory proposes that oil is naturally formed from non-biological sources deep within the earth's crust, while the fossil fuel theory suggests that oil is derived from the decomposition of organic matter over millions of years.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the abiotic oil theory?

While some studies have found traces of hydrocarbons in deep rock formations that are not typically associated with fossil fuels, the majority of scientific evidence supports the fossil fuel theory. The formation of oil from non-biological sources has not been observed or replicated in laboratory experiments.

3. Can abiotic oil and fossil fuels coexist?

Yes, it is possible that both abiotic oil and fossil fuels can exist in the earth's crust. However, the majority of oil reserves that are currently being extracted and used as fossil fuels are believed to be formed through the decomposition of organic matter.

4. How does the controversy surrounding abiotic oil theory impact the oil industry?

The controversy surrounding abiotic oil theory has little impact on the oil industry, as the majority of oil companies continue to rely on the fossil fuel theory in their exploration and extraction methods. However, the potential for an unlimited supply of abiotic oil could have significant economic implications if proven to be true.

5. What are the potential environmental consequences of relying on abiotic oil?

If abiotic oil were to become a primary source of energy, there could be significant environmental consequences such as increased greenhouse gas emissions and pollution from oil extraction processes. Additionally, the depletion of non-renewable resources could have long-term impacts on the environment and global economy.