1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About applicability of singularities in Physics

1. Jul 15, 2012 #1
    Hello, I am new here and this is my first post. Kindly let me know if my post is off topic.

My question is about the applicability of singularities of a function in Physics. By singularity I mean one of the higher derivatives (>2) of a function jumping at a point. Is there any conceptual use of such singularities in a physical theory. Could they be used to represent the subatomic particles. Can this be helpful for a unified theory (of large and small scale)? I'd be glad to hear some discussion on it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2
    I wonder why there isn't any response/reply.

4. Jul 18, 2012 #3
    Hi rajesh_d,

Poles and zeros for certain functions (which occur often in polynomials when working with such things as filters for example) might be considered singularities.

But it sounds as though you mean discontinuities rather than singularities. If so, Yes, higher order derivatives can be discontinuous. One physical example is a shock wave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shocks_and_Discontinuities_(MHD)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook