justwondering said:
I had 11 Miles per sec. for the Sun's speed. Using your info. I calc. that we travel about seven and a quarter Billion miles in one year. (86,400 X 365 X 229.4) This seems somewhat substantial. Thanks for your reply.
Sure. I don't remember the precise figure but it is around 370-380 km/s.
You can use the Google calculator to make it easy. Type this into the regular search window:
"1 year*370 km/s"
It will say 1.17 x 10
13 meters. You can easily see that is 1.17 x 10
10 kilometers. This is 11.7 billion kilometers.
But the google calculator (which lives in the regular google search box) will also help you convert to miles. You can type in
"1 year*370 km/s in miles"
and it will immediately say 7.26 billion miles. So it more or less agrees with what you got.
=========
The speed of around 370 was published sometime around 2002 or so by the COBE team, they were the main study of the Background before WMAP began giving data.
That is the speed of the solar system relative to the cosmic microwave background, as determined by the doppler hotspot which we see ahead of us. The background is slightly warmer ahead, in the Leo direction, than it is on average overall. And it is slightly colder behind us, for the same doppler reason.
The Background is the light from the ancient matter of the universe and the best reference for determining overall motion.
One can also talk about our galaxy's motion relative to background. If I remember something in the range 500-600 km/s towards the southern constellation of Crater (near Hydra-centaurus but not exactly, more accurately Crater).
And one can talk about the suns or the solarsystems motion in its orbit around galaxy center. It is moving some 250 km/s relative to Milky center. And these are not in the same direction so there is some partial cancelation and the upshot is the 370 km/s.
When we make observations of the rest of the universe it is this 370 km/s motion that has to be eliminated from the data, that we have to correct for in other words.
The COBE paper was by Charles Bennett et al. as I recall. It is the authoritative source on this, I think. If anybody knows a more recent source, like from WMAP, I would like to know.