1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About stochastic process...Help please

1. Jun 16, 2015 #1
    Given a Gaussian process X(t), identify which of the following , if any, are gaussian processes.

(a)X(2t)

solution said that X(2t) is not gaussian process, since

upload_2015-6-17_0-58-42.png

and similarly

Given Poisson process X(t)

(a) X(2t)

soultion said that X(2t) is not poisson process, since same reason above.

upload_2015-6-17_1-1-21.png

BUT

I think that in stochastic process, Time t is just constant value.

so I think X(2t), X(10000t), X(t+100) is also gaussian process ,or poisson process

doesn't care about whatever t is.

answer is?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are correct; if one looks at the usual definition of a Gaussian process, Y(t) =X(2t) satisfies the definition. However, its ##\mu## and ##\sigma## are different from those of X(t). Maybe your book uses some really weird definition of Gaussian process, but I hope not---as that would be misleading generations of students. See, eg., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_process . The same remarks apply to your Poisson process case.

Frankly, I am surprised someone would make those types of errors, because the scaling properties (of Poisson processes, in particular) are absolutely fundamental in modelling and applications.

4. Jun 16, 2015 #3
    Thanks for reply vickson!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted