Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Example of a non-Gaussian stochastic process?

1. Jan 2, 2013 #1

Jano L.

Gold Member

Consider stochastic process ##X(t)## with properties

$$
    \langle X(t) \rangle = 0,
    $$

$$
    \langle X(t) X(t-\tau) \rangle = C_0e^{-|\tau|/\tau_c}.
    $$

For example, the position of a Brownian particle in harmonic potential can be described by ##X##. In that case, the probability distribution will be Gaussian, i.e.

$$
    \frac{dp}{dX} (X) = Ae^{-\frac{|X^2|}{2\sigma^2}}
    $$

with some ##A, \sigma##.

Do you know some example of a stochastic process ##X## with the above two properties (average value and correlation function) which however does not have Gaussian probability distribution?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2013 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey Jano L.

If the solution to this process implies a unique form for the Moment Generating Function then the answer to your question is no since a particular MGF implies a unique form of a distribution.

4. Jan 3, 2013 #3

Jano L.

Gold Member

Well, I do not know the MGF for that process. I think I cannot determine it just from those two properties.

I just know those two averages. I think there are different processes than Gaussian with the above properties, so I was wondering whether there is some good example...

5. Jan 3, 2013 #4

chiro

Science Advisor

If you can show some kind of uniqueness for MGF, characteristic function, or any other attribute that unique describes a distribution (or family of distributions) then you can show it is unique.

Can you relate p or its derivative to one of the above attributes?

6. Jan 4, 2013 #5

Jano L.

Gold Member

No, I do not think so. I think the properties I know (see OP) do not define the MGF or probability distribution completely. I was just wondering about some concrete example of such process, which would have those two properties from OP but be non-Gaussian.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook