About the mass stopping power of muon

In summary, the person is seeking help with their calculation of the mass stopping power of muon using the Bethe-Bloch formula. They believe their result of 1.4 MeV.g^-1.cm^2 is incorrect compared to the expected value of 2 MeV.g^-1.cm^2 found in books and online. They have also provided an excel file but acknowledge that it may be difficult for someone else to understand without further explanation. They have been directed to a resource from the Particle Data Group that may be helpful in their calculations.
BUI TUAN KHAI
Dear all,

I calculated the mass stopping power of muon but the result was 1.4 MeV.g^-1.cm^2.
I calculated by BEthe-Bloch formula.
I think it is wrong. since I looked up in the books and internet, this value is about 2 MeV.g^-1.cm^2.
Can you help me. I also send the excel file as below.

Attachments

• Book1.xlsx
    10 KB · Views: 330
Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm... If you could explain what you actually show in the excel it would be easier for someone to help you. That's a common fact in everything [of course you know what you've been doing in the excel because you did it, but someone else doesn't know and you have to explain somehow how you moved and what did you do]

eg. did you use this formula?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethe_formula

What is the mass stopping power of a muon?

The mass stopping power of a muon refers to the ability of a muon to lose energy and come to a stop as it travels through a material. It is also known as the Bethe-Bloch formula, which is a mathematical expression that describes the rate at which a charged particle loses energy as it passes through matter.

How is the mass stopping power of a muon calculated?

The mass stopping power of a muon is calculated using the Bethe-Bloch formula, which takes into account the energy, mass, and charge of the muon as well as the density and atomic number of the material it is passing through.

What factors affect the mass stopping power of a muon?

The mass stopping power of a muon is affected by the density and atomic number of the material it is passing through, as well as the energy and charge of the muon itself. Temperature and pressure can also have an impact on the stopping power.

Why is the mass stopping power of a muon important?

The mass stopping power of a muon is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of cosmic rays and other high energy particles as they travel through different materials. It is also important in the design and development of particle accelerators and other high energy physics experiments.

Can the mass stopping power of a muon be measured experimentally?

Yes, the mass stopping power of a muon can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as energy loss spectroscopy, time-of-flight measurements, and track detectors. These experiments can help validate the predictions of the Bethe-Bloch formula and provide important data for future research.