Alpha Stopping Power Database for High Z Materials

In summary: Americium will be very similar to uranium (in terms of MeV/(g/cm2)). If the difference matters then you probably have so much americium that you have a lot of regulatory problems to solve first.
sussybaka
TL;DR Summary
Looking for a database/calculation software to obtain alpha stopping power in high Z materials, especially americium. All the databases I know of (ASTAR/SRIM) only report up to Uranium and I can't find any measurements in literature. Thanks!
That's about it. I've been trying to do the calculation manually with Bethe-Bloche without corrections in the energy range I'm interested in (1-10 MeV) for the highest Z material with data available for validation (Uranium), but I can't get a result that agree well with the database, so I'm hoping to find a software that has this calculation already done. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Americium will be very similar to uranium (in terms of MeV/(g/cm2)). If the difference matters then you probably have so much americium that you have a lot of regulatory problems to solve first.

Likes Vanadium 50, Astronuc and berkeman
mfb said:
Americium will be very similar to uranium (in terms of MeV/(g/cm2)).
I concur. I was thinking about this. Let's assume one has Am-241. Z = 95, so the nuclear stopping power is slightly greater, but the density of Am is ~13.67 g/cm3 compared to that for U of 19.6 g/cm3, so the electron density is quite a bit less, so the range could be slightly greater.

A Wikipedia article on Americium has density around 12 g/cm3, which appears to be incorrect given the other more reliable sources. Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americium#Physical_properties
rsc.org also has density of 12 g/cm3. Refl: https://www.rsc.org/periodic-table/element/95/americium I wonder if they are reporting the density of AmO2.

CRC's Handbook of Physics and Chemistry, 68th edition, has density of Am as 13.67 g/cm3, which is consistent with some chemical suppliers, e.g., Lenntech, and Jefferson Lab.
https://www.lenntech.com/periodic/elements/am.htm
https://education.jlab.org/itselemental/ele095.html

sussybaka said:
TL;DR Summary: Looking for a database/calculation software to obtain alpha stopping power in high Z materials, especially americium. All the databases I know of (ASTAR/SRIM) only report up to Uranium and I can't find any measurements in literature. Thanks!

That's about it. I've been trying to do the calculation manually with Bethe-Bloche without corrections in the energy range I'm interested in (1-10 MeV) for the highest Z material with data available for validation (Uranium), but I can't get a result that agree well with the database, so I'm hoping to find a software that has this calculation already done. Thanks for the help!
Have you looked at Geant4? I think you can do it using it?

1. What is the purpose of the Alpha Stopping Power Database for High Z Materials?

The purpose of the Alpha Stopping Power Database for High Z Materials is to provide researchers and scientists with a comprehensive and reliable source of data on the stopping power of alpha particles in high atomic number (Z) materials. This database can be used for various applications, such as radiation shielding design and particle detection.

2. How is the data in the database collected and validated?

The data in the database is collected from various sources, including experimental measurements and theoretical calculations. The collected data is then carefully validated by experts in the field to ensure accuracy and reliability.

3. What types of materials are included in the Alpha Stopping Power Database?

The database includes a wide range of high Z materials, such as metals, alloys, ceramics, and compounds. These materials are commonly used in various industries, including nuclear and space technology, and are of interest to researchers studying the interaction of alpha particles with matter.

4. How can the Alpha Stopping Power Database be accessed?

The database is publicly available and can be accessed through various online platforms, such as the National Nuclear Data Center and the International Atomic Energy Agency. It can also be downloaded in various formats, including Excel and CSV, for easy integration into research projects.

5. Are there any limitations to the Alpha Stopping Power Database?

While the database provides a comprehensive collection of data on alpha particles' stopping power, it is not exhaustive and may not include data for all high Z materials. Additionally, the accuracy of the data may vary depending on the source and method of data collection. Therefore, it is essential to carefully evaluate the data and its sources before use.