About time symmetry in quantum physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the fundamental nature of time symmetry in quantum mechanics and the CPT theorem. The time reversibility of QM is considered to be more fundamental due to the guaranteed unitary evolution of the wave function. The time asymmetry of the CPT theorem is seen as a matter of definition and not necessarily different from the classical concept of reversing time. It is also noted that CP violation cannot explain the Second Law of Thermodynamics. The conversation then delves into the relationship between QM and QFT and the role of unitary time evolution in both. It is stated that for the purposes of the second law arrow of time, unitary time evolution guarantees that the second law is not fundamental within the quantum mechanical framework. The conversation
TrickyDicky
What is more fundamental and why, the postulated time symmetry of QM tie evolution or the time asymmetry of the CPT theorem?

Physics news on Phys.org
The time reversibility of QM is more fundamental - it is basically guaranteed by unitary evolution of the wave function. The time asymmetry of CPT is more a matter of definition as to what we mean by time reversibility. It is not so much different from the fact that in classical physics, to reverse time, one has to also reverse the direction of velocity. Here is Sean Carroll's explanation.

http://preposterousuniverse.com/eternitytohere/faq.html
Don't the weak interactions violate time-reversal invariance?
Not exactly; more precisely, it depends on definitions, and the relevant fact is that the weak interactions have nothing to do with the arrow of time. They are not invariant under the T (time reversal) operation of quantum field theory, as has been experimentally verified in the decay of the neutral kaon. (The experiments found CP violation, which by the CPT theorem implies T violation.) But as far as thermodynamics is concerned, it's CPT invariance that matters, not T invariance. For every solution to the equations of motion, there is exactly one time-reversed solution -- it just happens to also involve a parity inversion and an exchange of particles with antiparticles. CP violation cannot explain the Second Law of Thermodynamics

Last edited by a moderator:
atyy said:
The time reversibility of QM is more fundamental - it is basically guaranteed by unitary evolution of the wave function. The time asymmetry of CPT is more a matter of definition as to what we mean by time reversibility. It is not so much different from the fact that in classical physics, to reverse time, one has to also reverse the direction of velocity.
Wouldn't this suggest counterintitively that QM is more fundamental than QFT? or does it rather point to some discrepancy between the two since after all QFT from which the CPT symmetry is derived is based on QM with unitary time evolution.

TrickyDicky said:
Wouldn't this suggest counterintitively that QM is more fundamental than QFT? or does it rather point to some discrepancy between the two since after all QFT from which the CPT symmetry is derived is based on QM with unitary time evolution.

By QM I included QFT. Unitary time evolution holds in QFT also.

atyy said:
By QM I included QFT. Unitary time evolution holds in QFT also.
That was my point when saying "after all QFT from which the CPT symmetry is derived is based on QM with unitary time evolution".
So Carroll's argument is that the important symmetry is the whole CPT and there's no point splitting it into CP violations and T-violation?

TrickyDicky said:
That was my point when saying "after all QFT from which the CPT symmetry is derived is based on QM with unitary time evolution".
So Carroll's argument is that the important symmetry is the whole CPT and there's no point splitting it into CP violations and T-violation?

No, he just means that for the purposes of the second law arrow of time, unitary time evolution guarantees that the second law is not fundamental within the quantum mechanical framework.

atyy said:
No, he just means that for the purposes of the second law arrow of time, unitary time evolution guarantees that the second law is not fundamental within the quantum mechanical framework.
I see. That makes sense.
Is that in general seen like a problem for QM or for the second law? I mean, is the second law as fundamental as it used to be(I'm thinking of the famous Eddington quote on the second law)?

TrickyDicky said:
I see. That makes sense.
Is that in general seen like a problem for QM or for the second law? I mean, is the second law as fundamental as it used to be(I'm thinking of the famous Eddington quote on the second law)?

For a long time the second law has not been fundamental. Still Eddington's quote holds true.

Anyway, for how the second law may arise within quantum mechanics, try looking at http://arxiv.org/abs/1007.3957 or http://arxiv.org/abs/1402.3380, which contain good pointers to other papers.

atyy said:
For a long time the second law has not been fundamental.
Sorry, I'm not following what you mean by this.

TrickyDicky said:
Sorry, I'm not following what you mean by this.

In classical mechanics and in quantum mechanics, the dynamics are deterministic in a way that given full knowledge of the state at anyone time, the entire past and future are known. In contrast, the second law tells us that the future is more uncertain than the past. So the second law and classical and quantum mechanics are in contradiction if we consider both to be fundamental. The majority point of view has been to take the classical and quantum dynamics as fundamental, and consider the second law to be emergent or an accident of the initial conditions.

(Here we ignore the Copenhagen interpretation, in which a definite or irreversible macroscopic outcome is fundamental.)

In classical mechanics and in quantum mechanics, the dynamics are deterministic in a way that given full knowledge of the state at anyone time, the entire past and future are known. In contrast, the second law tells us that the future is more uncertain than the past. So the second law and classical and quantum mechanics are in contradiction if we consider both to be fundamental. The majority point of view has been to take the classical and quantum dynamics as fundamental, and consider the second law to be emergent or an accident of the initial conditions.

(Here we ignore the Copenhagen interpretation, in which a definite or irreversible macroscopic outcome is fundamental.)
Ok, thanks.
So on this particular point you think the majority pov differs from the Copenhagen pov that highlights the contradiction, right?

Last edited:
TrickyDicky said:
So on this particular point you think the majority pov differs from the Copenhagen pov that highlights the contradiction, right?

No, it just means that all the statements hold only for the part of quantum mechanics in which the time evolution is completely governed by unitary time evolution.

Last edited:
atyy said:
No, it just means that all the statements hold only for the part of quantum mechanics in which the time evolution is completely governed by unitary time evolution.
Is the time parameter in the time evolution operator required to be continuous? It would seem that for interacting systems is not required.

TrickyDicky said:
Is the time parameter in the time evolution operator required to be continuous? It would seem that for interacting systems is not required.

I'm not sure. My guess is that it is not, since lattice gauge theory is usually formulated in discrete time and loop quantum cosmology also has discrete time.

1. What is time symmetry in quantum physics?

Time symmetry in quantum physics refers to the idea that the fundamental laws of physics should remain the same regardless of the direction of time. This means that the behavior of particles and systems should be the same whether time is moving forward or backward.

2. Why is time symmetry important in quantum physics?

Time symmetry is important in quantum physics because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles and systems in the past and future. It also helps us understand the underlying principles of the universe and how it operates.

3. How does time symmetry relate to the concept of causality?

Time symmetry is closely related to the concept of causality, which states that every event has a cause and every cause has an effect. In quantum physics, time symmetry means that the cause and effect of a particle's behavior should be the same regardless of the direction of time.

4. Has time symmetry been proven in quantum physics?

There is strong evidence for time symmetry in quantum physics based on experimental observations and mathematical models. However, it is still an area of ongoing research and there is still much to be discovered and understood about the fundamental laws of the universe.

5. Are there any exceptions to time symmetry in quantum physics?

While time symmetry is a fundamental principle in quantum physics, there are some scenarios where it may not apply. For example, in extreme conditions such as near a black hole or during the early stages of the universe, time symmetry may break down. Additionally, certain interpretations of quantum mechanics, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, do not necessarily require time symmetry to hold.