About Universities in Europe(excluding UK)

In summary: I'm also considering Leiden.The MSc programs are indeed completely in English - all the coursework is taught in English and researchers and technical personel are perfectly willing to speak English with you if you don't speak Dutch. It is also very easy to buy groceries and to otherwise function in daily life if you only speak English.One thing I would investigate is the cost of tuition for an MSc. Dutch master's programs are attached to the undergraduate program and so you must pay tuition - which for a non-EU citizen is a significant sum of money. However, once you get to the PhD you pay no tuition and the wages are very competitive.Particularly, I'm interested in Particle Physics. MSc in Part
tanujt
Hello,
My name is Tanuj Trivedi. I am a final year B.Tech. Electronics & Communication Engineering student from Nirma University, Ahmedabad.
I'm planning to switch to Physics for my graduation studies, either in India, or in Europe.

some universities in EU that provide an MS in English, and where it is possible for me to apply (as an Engg. student) are the following:
Universiteit van Amsterdam, NL
University of Groningen, NL
Uppsala University, Sweden
Lunds University, Sweden
University of Stuttgart, Germany
University of Leipzig, Germany

Is anyone here that has studied, or is planning to from these universities? How 'English' is their MS Physics program?
Being an Engineering student, if I do get admitted, I'll probably have to take deficiency courses, which might not be available in English.

In any case, I'd surely appreciate any suggestions, or help on this front. I am a little reluctant to opt for uni's in EU, mostly due to lack of information available about them.

Thank you,
tanuj.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the Jagiellonian Univerisity in Krakow in Poland. I'm considering going there, and I've been told that since so many people that study there are foreigners, a lot of the classes are in English.

I'm familiar with the physics programs at several Dutch universities including UvA... What discipline are you interested in?

The MSc programs are indeed completely in English - all the coursework is taught in English and researchers and technical personel are perfectly willing to speak English with you if you don't speak Dutch. It is also very easy to buy groceries and to otherwise function in daily life if you only speak English.

One thing I would investigate is the cost of tuition for an MSc. Dutch master's programs are attached to the undergraduate program and so you must pay tuition - which for a non-EU citizen is a significant sum of money. However, once you get to the PhD you pay no tuition and the wages are very competitive.

Last edited:
Particularly, I'm interested in Particle Physics. MSc in Particle & Astroparticle Physics program has accepted my Pre-App at UvA. My point is, I would most probably have to take deficiency courses, at the bachelor's and advanced bachelor's level. Are these courses taught in English?
I've also heard housing is a major problem at Amsterdam.

How's the University of Groningen?

MSc courses at universities in Sweden are definitely taught in English and there are plenty of foreign students.
My old university (Chalmers University in Gothenburg) actually switched completely to English this year, i.e. all undergraduate courses are now taught in English (although that was nearly true before as well, there are so many foreign researchers there and many of them do not speak much Swedish).

I don't think you have to worry about language at the universities, ALL lecturers and students at that level in Europe tend to speak English very well.
However, life outside the university might be a bit tricky if you don't speak any German and decide to study at a German university. Whereas you can communicate with just about everyone in Sweden and Holland in English, "ordinary" Germans don't speak much English.

Hi tanujt,

The housing is indeed a problem in Amsterdam (not enough housing facilities for students). Groningen is much smaller than Amsterdam. It's a typical student city so housing isn't a problem there. I think both universities compare in ranking, although I don't know which one is better for particle and astrophysics.
Have you considered the university of Utrecht and Leiden? Both are the best universities for physics in Holland (Utrecht has the Nobel prize winner Gerard 't Hooft).
Also in Holland you can be sure that almost every MSc is taught in English (except for MSc like Dutch Literature), especially in science subjects.

Poop-Loops said:
Try the Jagiellonian Univerisity in Krakow in Poland. I'm considering going there, and I've been told that since so many people that study there are foreigners, a lot of the classes are in English.

My brother-in-law received his masters from the Jagiellonian University. He enjoyed it immensely. They do indeed teach many classes in English. My brother-in-law got his degree in Political Science and studied the transition of Poland into the EU, so I don't know about any other programs there.

Krakow is a great city- it has something like 10 universities and the city is very much like a college town. Lots of young people around. Very fun vacation for a few days.

tanujt said:
Particularly, I'm interested in Particle Physics. MSc in Particle & Astroparticle Physics program has accepted my Pre-App at UvA. My point is, I would most probably have to take deficiency courses, at the bachelor's and advanced bachelor's level. Are these courses taught in English?
I've also heard housing is a major problem at Amsterdam.

How's the University of Groningen?

I've yet to make it to Groningen and I don't know anyone who works there... For particle physics I think Utrecht is the best university in the Netherlands.

You might have a hard time taking undergraduate course as they are usually taught in Dutch. However, there are occasional exceptions so it would be worth contacting the departments you've applied to.

It's true that good housing is difficult to find in Amsterdam. The good news is that the physics department is moving out of the city centre in 2009 (? I think - it's really soon). So housing will be a bit easier then.

What are the top universities in Europe (excluding UK)?

Some of the top universities in Europe (excluding UK) include ETH Zurich in Switzerland, Technical University of Munich in Germany, and the University of Copenhagen in Denmark.

What is the difference between public and private universities in Europe?

Public universities in Europe are funded by the government and generally have lower tuition fees, while private universities are funded through tuition and donations and tend to have higher tuition fees.

Can international students study at universities in Europe (excluding UK)?

Yes, many universities in Europe (excluding UK) welcome international students and offer programs and resources specifically for international students.

How do I apply to universities in Europe (excluding UK) as an international student?

The application process for international students may vary depending on the university, but generally it involves submitting an online application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and proof of language proficiency.

What are the top subjects to study at universities in Europe (excluding UK)?

Some of the top subjects to study at universities in Europe (excluding UK) include engineering, business and management, and social sciences. However, the best subject for you may depend on your individual interests and career goals.