1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About velocity equation in simple harmonic motion

1. Oct 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Actually this is not a problem. This is about something i couldnt understand.

Y5y45A.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    dairesel3.jpg
    where wt equals θ

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can understand that x=r.cosθ it is obvious. But i cant understand why Vx=-V.sin(w.t) When i take a triangle from that circle i end up finding Vx equal to V.sin(w.t) . Where do we get that minus? Also how does he find the angle as 90+wt in that equation? I think it should be 90 - wt

Note: I dont want the explanation with derivative.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's all there in the diagram. The angle from the +ve X axis anticlockwise around to the velocity vector is shown as 90+theta. If that's not clear, project the blue radius line through the particle to cut the angle into two parts.

4. Oct 28, 2014 #3
    Ummm.. I think i couldnt express my problem. I can understand why is that angle is 90 + theta. My problem is different.

If you take triangle which has a pink vector leftward and green vector which making an angle of alpha with the pink vector (where alpha is 90 - theta) and put the Vy component in to the emptry section of that triangle you will see that Vx equals V.cos(alpha) which is 90 - theta so equation becomes Vx=V.cos(90-theta)

As i know, that 90 degree in the cosinus will turn it into a sinus but wont add a minus to it since 90 - theta is in the first section of coordinate system.

Summary: My problem is with that minus... Btw thank you for helping.

5. Oct 28, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

But in that diagram you have drawn Vx as a left-pointing vector. Since right is positive, you should take Vx as right-pointing. You then see that it is Vcos(90+theta), hence the minus sign.

6. Oct 28, 2014 #5
    Got it. Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted