Simple Harmonic motion of a Pendulum

In summary, by solving for the coefficient in front of the cosine simple harmonic function for velocity, we can find the time at which a simple pendulum with a 400-g mass and 1.30-m string will have a velocity of -0.2 cm/s. By plugging in the given values and using the inverse cosine function, we can find that the third time the pendulum has this velocity is 3.36 seconds. However, the correct answer is 3.13 seconds.
dolvo
Homework Statement
A simple pendulum is made up of a 400-g mass attached to a 1.30-m string. It is pulled to the side and then released. Later a clock is started at the instant the mass is moving at its maximum velocity of 30 cm/s [R]. At what time t is the velocity of the mass 20 cm/s [L] for the third time?
Relevant Equations
w = sqrt(g/l)
v = xmax * w * cos(wt)
First, I decided to solve for the coefficient in front of the cosine simple harmonic function for velocity. I know there is max velocity of 30cm/s at time = 0 , so I plug it into velocity function.

xmax * w = A

v(t) = Acos(wt)
0.3 = Acos(w*0)
A = 0.3

Then I have my velocity function

v(t) = 0.3cos(wt)

So I now plug in -0.2 for velocity because that's what the question asks.

-0.2 = 0.3cos(wt)
-0.67 = cos(wt)

I then take inverse cosine , and get 2.3, in which I add 2pi to result in the third time the pendulum has the velocity. Then I divide by angular velocity

(w= sqrt(9.8/1.5) = 2.56)

2.3 + 2pi = wt
8.58 = 2.56t
t= 3.36

I get 3.36 s but the answer is 3.13!

Physics news on Phys.org
dolvo said:
Problem Statement: A simple pendulum is made up of a 400-g mass attached to a 1.30-m string.

(w= sqrt(9.8/1.5) = 2.56)
:smile:

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a system oscillates back and forth around a stable equilibrium point. This type of motion is characterized by a sinusoidal pattern, where the system moves at a constant frequency and amplitude.

2. How does a pendulum exhibit simple harmonic motion?

A pendulum exhibits simple harmonic motion because it follows a specific pattern of movement due to the force of gravity. As the pendulum swings back and forth, it experiences a restoring force that brings it back to the equilibrium point. This back and forth motion creates a sinusoidal pattern, making it an example of simple harmonic motion.

3. What factors affect the frequency of a pendulum's oscillation?

The frequency of a pendulum's oscillation is affected by its length, mass, and acceleration due to gravity. The longer the length of the pendulum, the slower the frequency will be. Similarly, a heavier mass and a stronger gravitational field will also result in a slower frequency of oscillation.

4. How is the period of a pendulum related to its length?

The period of a pendulum, which is the time it takes to complete one oscillation, is directly proportional to the length of the pendulum. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases. This relationship is expressed by the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can a pendulum exhibit simple harmonic motion in any direction?

No, a pendulum can only exhibit simple harmonic motion in one direction, which is the direction of its swing. This is because the force of gravity always acts towards the equilibrium point, causing the pendulum to only move back and forth in one direction. However, a pendulum can be constructed to move in multiple directions, but it will not exhibit simple harmonic motion in those directions.