1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolute convergence of series?

1. Nov 12, 2012 #1
    The question is: Show that if [itex]\sum[/itex]an from n=1 to ∞ converges absolutely, then [itex]\sum[/itex]an2 from n=1 to converges absolutely.

I'm not sure which approach to take with this.

I am thinking that since Ʃan converges absolutely, |an| can be either -an or an and for Ʃan2, an can be either negative or positive. But i'm not sure where to go with this.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You know that if [itex]a_n[/itex] is small (=smaller than 1), then [itex]a_n^2[/itex] is even smaller. So the squared series is smaller than the original series.

Can you do something with this idea??

4. Nov 13, 2012 #3
    So you mean a_n^2 would be bounded from above for smaller values? But what if it's greater than 1?

5. Nov 13, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, if it's greater than 1 then there is a problem. Try to find a way to solve this.

6. Nov 13, 2012 #5
    Do you think I can use what I stated in my first post?

7. Nov 13, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Uh, not really. Well,it's not wrong what you said, but it won't help you much further.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook