Absolute pressure with container

In summary, the problem is to determine the depth of mercury in a 1.00m tall container filled with both mercury and water in order to achieve a pressure on the bottom of the container that is twice the atmospheric pressure. The equation used is P2 = P1 + (rho)gh, where both the column of mercury and water contribute to the pressure, and mercury is assumed to be denser than water.
physicsdreams

Homework Statement

A 1.00m tall container is filled to the brim, partway with mercury and the rest of the way with water. The container is open to the amosphere. What must be the depth of the mercury so that the absolute pressure on the bottom of the container is twice the atmospheric pressure?

Homework Equations

P2 = P1 + (rho)gh

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the pressure at the bottom has to be 2*10^5 Pa, but I'm just not sure how to approach the rest of the problem. How do I deal with the split densities?

Physics news on Phys.org
Both the column of mercury of height y and water of height 1.00-y contributes to the pressure of the bottom, and the contributions add up.

ehild

ehild said:
Both the column of mercury of height y and water of height 1.00-y contributes to the pressure of the bottom, and the contributions add up.

ehild

Do I assume that the water is underneath the mercury? or does it not matter?

Does this equation work?:

P2=p1+(rho)ghmercury+(rho)g(1-h)water

Which fluid is denser? Mercury or water?

physicsdreams said:
Do I assume that the water is underneath the mercury? or does it not matter?

It does not matter in te equation (it is correct), but mercury is much denser than water...

ehild

Thanks everyone, I managed to solve the problem.

1. What is absolute pressure with container?

Absolute pressure with container refers to the total pressure exerted by a gas or liquid inside a container, including both the atmospheric pressure and the pressure from the contents of the container.

2. How is absolute pressure with container measured?

Absolute pressure with container is typically measured using a pressure gauge or sensor, which can measure the total pressure exerted by the contents of the container, as well as any changes in pressure over time.

3. What is the difference between absolute pressure with container and gauge pressure?

The main difference between absolute pressure with container and gauge pressure is that gauge pressure only measures the pressure exerted by the contents of the container, while absolute pressure includes the atmospheric pressure as well.

4. How does temperature affect absolute pressure with container?

Temperature can affect absolute pressure with container by changing the volume and density of the gas or liquid inside the container. As temperature increases, the pressure inside the container will also increase.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding absolute pressure with container?

Understanding absolute pressure with container is important for many scientific and industrial applications, such as in chemical and mechanical engineering, weather forecasting, and the design of pressurized containers for storage and transportation of gases or liquids.