1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolute pressure with container

1. Nov 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1.00m tall container is filled to the brim, partway with mercury and the rest of the way with water. The container is open to the amosphere. What must be the depth of the mercury so that the absolute pressure on the bottom of the container is twice the atmospheric pressure?

2. Relevant equations

P2 = P1 + (rho)gh

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the pressure at the bottom has to be 2*10^5 Pa, but I'm just not sure how to approach the rest of the problem. How do I deal with the split densities?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Both the column of mercury of height y and water of height 1.00-y contributes to the pressure of the bottom, and the contributions add up.

ehild

4. Nov 15, 2011 #3
    Do I assume that the water is underneath the mercury? or does it not matter?

5. Nov 15, 2011 #4
    Does this equation work?:

P2=p1+(rho)ghmercury+(rho)g(1-h)water

6. Nov 15, 2011 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Which fluid is denser? Mercury or water?

7. Nov 15, 2011 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It does not matter in te equation (it is correct), but mercury is much denser than water...

ehild

8. Nov 15, 2011 #7
    Thanks everyone, I managed to solve the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook