Absolute value of trigonometric functions of a complex number

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
agnimusayoti
Messages
239
Reaction score
23
Homework Statement
Find absolute value of ##\sin (x-iy)##.
Relevant Equations
$$\sin z=\frac {e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}$$
If ##z=x+iy## then, absolute value of this complex number is ##|z|=\sqrt {x^2+y^2}##
So far I've got the real part and imaginary part of this complex number. Assume: ##z=\sin (x+iy)##, then
1. Real part: ##\sin x \cosh y##
2. Imaginary part: ##\cos x \sinh y##
If I use the absolute value formula, I got ##|z|=\sqrt{\sin^2 {x}.\cosh^2 {y}+\cos^2 {x}.\sinh^2 {y} }##
How to simplify that answer to ##|z|=\sqrt{\sin^2 {x}+\sinh^2 {y}}##?

Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand how could ##\cosh^2 \cos^2## eliminated?
 
Please show your work. If not it is impossible to know where you have gotten ##\cosh^2 \cos^2## from.
 
You want to eliminate cos and cosh at some point. Do it right away.
$$\cos^2(x)=1-\sin^2(x)$$
$$\cosh^2(y)=1+\sinh^2(y)$$
 
Orodruin said:
Please show your work. If not it is impossible to know where you have gotten ##\cosh^2 \cos^2## from.
I mean ##cosh^2 y## at ##sin^x cosh^2y##
 
1588683901844..jpg


1588683942675..jpg
 
Attachments
  • 1588683821120..jpg
    1588683821120..jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 269
That is some nice work and handwriting.
a nice identity in there
$$u^2(1+v^2)+(1-u^2)v^2=u^2+v^2$$
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: agnimusayoti