Absorbtivity thickness conversion

• Thread starter PlasMav
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thickness
In summary: The decay chain includes the beta, gamma, and electron emitting isotopes. The decay chain includes the beta, gamma, and electron emitting isotopes.The lab asks a question regarding fluctuating count values higher than 1400 mg/cm^2 thickness however my maximum thickness is 857 mg/cm^2.I don't know the lab setup, but maybe you can estimate the expected rate at 1400 mg/cm^2 and then make statements based on that.Yes.The lab asks a question regarding fluctuating count values higher than 1400 mg/cm^2 thickness however my maximum thickness is 857 mg/cm^2.I feel like maybe the lab was designed to use even thicker Aluminum plates.The accepted mean energy of bet
PlasMav
Hello,

I'm working on a lab report centered on Beta decay and I am confused how absorber thickness is obtained. We used varying thickness aluminum plates spaced 2cm from a Sr-90 source taking measurements with an ST350 counter/GM tube/software.

By my understanding the absorber thickness [g or mg/cm^2] is calculated by getting the product of the material's density and thickness.

Density of Material x Thickness

Is this correct? The lab asks a question regarding fluctuating count values higher than 1400 mg/cm^2 thickness however my maximum thickness is 857 mg/cm^2.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
PlasMav said:
Density of Material x Thickness

Is this correct?
Yes.
PlasMav said:
The lab asks a question regarding fluctuating count values higher than 1400 mg/cm^2 thickness however my maximum thickness is 857 mg/cm^2.
I don't know the lab setup, but maybe you can estimate the expected rate at 1400 mg/cm^2 and then make statements based on that.

mfb said:
Yes.I don't know the lab setup, but maybe you can estimate the expected rate at 1400 mg/cm^2 and then make statements based on that.

I feel like maybe the lab was designed to use even thicker Aluminum plates. I wish my scanner worked so I could post it here.

My E value also has a huge 57.5% error.

Experimental .2124 MeV vs True Value Sr-90 E of .546 MeV

I may just have to roll with these numbers and say something was WAY off.

PlasMav said:
Experimental .2124 MeV vs True Value Sr-90 E of .546 MeV
The accepted mean energy of betas from 90Sr is 195.8 keV (from NNDC, BNL). So if one measured 212.4 keV, the error would be 8.5%.
Ref: https://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/decaysearchdirect.jsp?nuc=90Sr&unc=nds

The maximum energy of a beta from 90Sr is 0.546 MeV, and the most probable energy is about 1/3 of the maximum. An anti-neutrino takes some of the energy.

Find a beta spectrum for 90Sr and other beta emitters.

The following paper reports a mean energy of 196.1 keV for the average beta energy.
Robert J. Budnitz, STRONTIUM-90 AND STRONTIUM-89: A REVIEW OF MEASUREMENT TECHNIQUES IN ENVIRONMENTAL MEDIA, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory - https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/4236199/

J. Mantel, "The Beta Ray Spectrum and Averege Energy of Several Isotopes of Interest in Medicine and Biology", Int. J. Appl. Radiat. Isotopes 23, 407 (1972).

Note that the decay product of 90Sr is 90Y, which has a beta of maximum energy 2.28 MeV, and an average energy of ~933.1 keV, so some activity one counts would be coming from 90Y. The beta from Y would increase the apparent energy of the less energetic beta from Sr. Decay of 90Y is more complicated.
https://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/decaysearchdirect.jsp?nuc=90Y&unc=nds

In designing shielding for a given isotopic source, one must consider the decay chain and gamma radiation in addition to betas.

What is absorptivity thickness conversion?

Absorptivity thickness conversion is a scientific process used to determine the thickness of a material based on its absorptivity, or ability to absorb light or radiation. It is commonly used in fields such as optics and materials science.

How is absorptivity thickness conversion calculated?

The calculation for absorptivity thickness conversion involves measuring the reflectance or transmittance of a material at different wavelengths and using this data to determine the thickness of the material. This can be done using various instruments such as spectrophotometers or interferometers.

What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of absorptivity thickness conversion?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of absorptivity thickness conversion, including the uniformity of the material, the angle of incidence of the light, and the wavelength of the light being used. It is important to carefully control these variables in order to obtain accurate results.

What are some practical applications of absorptivity thickness conversion?

Absorptivity thickness conversion has a wide range of applications in various industries and fields of research. It can be used to measure the thickness of thin films, coatings, and layers in materials used in manufacturing, as well as in the study of optical properties of materials and the development of new materials with specific absorptivity properties.

Are there any limitations to absorptivity thickness conversion?

While absorptivity thickness conversion is a useful tool in many scientific applications, it does have some limitations. It is most accurate for materials with a uniform thickness and composition, and may not be as effective for thicker or more complex materials. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity.