Absorption Length of Aluminium for Thermal Neutrons

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the absorption length of thermal neutrons in aluminium, based on the given information of its cross-section of thermal neutron absorption and the Beer-Lambert Law. The absorption length is defined as the distance over which the intensity falls to 1/e. The conversation also touches on the concept of neutron cross-section and the number density of atoms in a given volume of aluminium. The correct solution for the absorption length is 0.639 m, which is obtained by calculating the mean free path of the neutrons using the number density and the absorption cross-section.
says

Homework Statement

Aluminium (Ar = 26.98, ρ = 2700 kg/m3) has cross-section of thermal neutron absorption 0.23 barn. What is the absorption length of thermal neutrons in the aluminium? What value decreases neutron intensity in 0.6 mm, 8 mm and 80 mm aluminium?

Homework Equations

Beer-Lambert Law[/B]
d0f3f6ed693df5ca4b1a717a95749ac8.png

I'm not sure what x and lambda are in this equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to calculate the absorption length from the information provided.

Absorption length
[PLAIN]http://gisaxs.com/images/math/c/5/0/c50b9e82e318d4c163e4b1b060f7daf5.png, the distance over which the intensity falls to 1/e.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
says said:
I'm not sure what x and lambda are in this equation.
is strange when you then state
Absorption length [PLAIN]http://gisaxs.com/images/math/c/5/0/c50b9e82e318d4c163e4b1b060f7daf5.png, the distance over which the intensity falls to 1/e
. Or are you worried about the relation between ##P## and intensity ?
Is it really that hard to imagine what ##x## could be ?
Did you Google some examples ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The intensity falls to 1/e = absorption length. But what is the original intensity?

Why not use 1 for the original intensity ? Or ##I_0## and gamble that ##P = {I\over I_0} ## :smile: ? At least then you can move on !

##P = {I\over I_0} ## = 1

1/e = .367
1-.367879 = 0.633

The intensity has fallen, I'd assume x is the distance the thermal neutron has traveled through the atom, maybe. not sure about lambda though.

We're not making much headway like this. Can you imagine an aluminum plate with a certain thickness, for example 0.6 mm, at which a beam of thermal neutrons is directed. The plate is a void with an awful lot of aluminum atoms. For a neutron in the beam this looks like a volume with a certain density of targets with an area of 0.23 barn per atom, the neutron cross section.
Thicker plate, more targets. Your ##\lambda## has something to do with the density and the area of these targets.

You have a textbook or lecture notes to introduce you to the matter at hand ? This exercise doesn't come out of the blue, I should think?

BvU said:
This exercise doesn't come out of the blue, I should think?

You'd be surprised...

λ = density * area of sphere ? (Assuming nucleus has a sphere shape)
= density * 4*pi*radius of atomic nucleus

If I take the value of kinetic energy from that link you posted. 0.025 eV I can calculated the scattering cross section. From there I can calculate the absorption cross section.

My impression is the 0.23 nb is the absorption cross section. The exercise is a lot simpler than you now make it look.

Yes, that makes sense. 0.23 is the absorption cross section. I have absolutely nothing in my lecture slides relating to neutron cross section or neutron absorption. No mathematical equation in which I can understand what happens. Is λ the mean free path?

Σ=attenuation coefficient cm-1
N= Atom density
σ = cross section

Σ=Nσ
Σ=621 cm-1

λ=1/Σ= 1/621=0.00161

What do you get for N ? And how come your units end up as cm-1 ?

Sorry, N = density = ρ = 2700 kg/m3

I can see this isn't correct now though through dimensional analysis. density * cross section = kg/m3 * m2 ≠ cm-1

You want the number of Al atoms per volume, not the density in kilograms per volume !

oh ok, so number density = number of objects / volume = 100.74

100.74*.23 = 23.017 cm-1
λ=1/Σ= 1/23.017=0.043446

0.367 = e^-x/lambda
-1.00239 = -x/0.043446 =
x= -0.04355

This answer is still incorrect. The solution is 0.639 m according to my textbook but I don't see how I can get that.

Do you seriously believe there are 100 Al atoms in a 1 m3 block of Aluminum ? Or do you work in some other system of units ?

1. What is the absorption length of aluminium for thermal neutrons?

The absorption length of aluminium for thermal neutrons is approximately 2.7 cm.

2. How does the absorption length of aluminium compare to other materials for thermal neutrons?

Aluminium has a relatively short absorption length for thermal neutrons compared to materials such as water or graphite, which have absorption lengths of several meters.

3. What factors affect the absorption length of aluminium for thermal neutrons?

The absorption length of aluminium for thermal neutrons is influenced by the composition and thickness of the material, as well as the energy of the neutrons and the angle at which they interact with the material.

4. Can the absorption length of aluminium be increased?

Yes, the absorption length of aluminium can be increased by using thicker pieces of the material or by alloying it with other elements such as boron.

5. Why is the absorption length of aluminium important in nuclear science?

The absorption length of aluminium is important in nuclear science because it is commonly used as a shielding material to protect against thermal neutrons. Understanding its absorption length allows for effective design of shielding systems to prevent exposure to harmful radiation.