Abstract Algebra Concept-based Question

In summary, the conversation is about proving that the symmetric group on a finite set is not cyclic if the set has more than 2 elements. The conversation discusses the definitions of a cyclic group and an abelian group, and how showing that a group is abelian can prove that it is not cyclic. The conversation also goes through a proof involving permutations to show that the symmetric group on a finite set is not abelian, and therefore not cyclic.
war485
I have no abstract algebra background (only matrices and calculus and stats) but this problem came up in one of my classes and this time I'm completely clueless:

Homework Statement

A group is cyclic if an element, g, of the group generates the entire group in the sense that if h is any other element of the group, then h = gk = g * g * g * ... ¤ g for some k. Show that the symmetric group on a finite set, S, is not cyclic if the set has more than 2 elements.

Homework Equations

no equations, just definitions I think.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sorry, I really have no idea on this (never seen "groups" before) but I'll take a try on it. (not even sure how to show this properly):

if the group has 2 elements g and h, then they are related by g * h --> group S
for some other element x, then gk is not possible since there are only 2 parameters, it cannot accept 3 parameters.
so g * h * x --> not group S

Physics news on Phys.org
That 'proof' really doesn't say much. You probably know that. Try taking this approach: i) show a cyclic group is abelian, and ii) show S(n) for n>2 is not abelian.

Dick said:
That 'proof' really doesn't say much. You probably know that. Try taking this approach: i) show a cyclic group is abelian, and ii) show S(n) for n>2 is not abelian.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by an abelian group. Are there certain properties that an abelian group has that a regular group doesn't have?

war485 said:
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by an abelian group. Are there certain properties that an abelian group has that a regular group doesn't have?

In an abelian group every two elements commute. I.e. f*g=g*f. It's true for cyclic groups (prove that). It's not true for Sn with n>2. So Sn can't be cyclic.

i) so if I have 2 elements a and b of a cyclic group:
then let a=gx and b=gy
So... a*b=(gx)*(gy)=g^x+y=g^y+x
So the cyclic group is Abelian, great.

ii) Ok then, so if I were to say elements h and x and y are in G, then h*x*y = ga*gb*gc = ga+b+c = gc+b+a = y*x*h

I think this shows that it is Abelian, but does this show that it is not cyclic (since it is impossible to generate all of the group g with only just one element?)

war485 said:
i) so if I have 2 elements a and b of a cyclic group:
then let a=gx and b=gy
So... a*b=(gx)*(gy)=g^x+y=g^y+x
So the cyclic group is Abelian, great.

ii) Ok then, so if I were to say elements h and x and y are in G, then h*x*y = ga*gb*gc = ga+b+c = gc+b+a = y*x*h

I think this shows that it is Abelian, but does this show that it is not cyclic (since it is impossible to generate all of the group g with only just one element?)

You don't really need part ii). Showing a*b=b*a is sufficient. This shows you that any group where you can find two elements that don't commute cannot be cyclic. Can you show Sn for n>=3 has two elements that don't commute?

Dick said:
You don't really need part ii). Showing a*b=b*a is sufficient. This shows you that any group where you can find two elements that don't commute cannot be cyclic. Can you show Sn for n>=3 has two elements that don't commute?

Not sure how, and if I could, that would've been the answer to my original problem :)

war485 said:
Not sure how, and if I could, that would've been the answer to my original problem :)

Sn is the set of permutation of {1,2,3,...n}, right? Take 'a' to be the permutation that interchanges 1 and 2 and take 'b' to be the permutation that interchanges 2 and 3. Is ab=ba?

Dick said:
Sn is the set of permutation of {1,2,3,...n}, right? Take 'a' to be the permutation that interchanges 1 and 2 and take 'b' to be the permutation that interchanges 2 and 3. Is ab=ba?

in that case, then no, ab is not equal to ba; ooh, so then those two symmetric sets (simply by switching two (not same) elements in both sets?) will show the set used is not commutative, which shows it is not abelian, which finally shows it's not cyclic! Yay! But, how does your set of {1,2,3,...n} qualify as symmetric? Why not say, { n, n+1, n+2, ... etc,} ?

war485 said:
in that case, then no, ab is not equal to ba; ooh, so then those two symmetric sets (simply by switching two (not same) elements in both sets?) will show the set used is not commutative, which shows it is not abelian, which finally shows it's not cyclic! Yay! But, how does your set of {1,2,3,...n} qualify as symmetric? Why not say, { n, n+1, n+2, ... etc,} ?

I'm not sure what you are saying there. Sn is a group of permutations, not a group of sets. I think you might want to review the definition of Sn again. It's seems a little hazy in your mind.

I'll look it up again, might be confusing permutations with sets again. So that was enough to show that the finite sets were not symmetric?

war485 said:
I'll look it up again, might be confusing permutations with sets again. So that was enough to show that the finite sets were not symmetric?

Well, no. It's enough to show symmetric groups aren't commutative, hence not cyclic. Your words seem to be all scrambled up.

sorry, meant cyclic, not symmetric, not sure how that came out (was thinking group theory).
Thanks so much for your help. :D

What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures and their properties in a general and abstract manner. It focuses on the study of algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields, and their operations.

What are some real-life applications of abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra has various applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, physics, and computer science. For example, group theory is used in cryptography to create secure encryption algorithms, and ring theory is used in coding theory to design efficient error-correcting codes.

What are the basic concepts in abstract algebra?

The basic concepts in abstract algebra include groups, rings, fields, homomorphisms, isomorphisms, and substructures. These concepts are used to study algebraic structures and their properties in an abstract manner.

What is the difference between abstract algebra and traditional algebra?

Traditional algebra deals with the manipulation of symbols and solving equations, while abstract algebra focuses on the general study of algebraic structures and their properties. Abstract algebra is also more abstract and theoretical compared to traditional algebra.

What skills are necessary to understand abstract algebra?

To understand abstract algebra, one needs a strong foundation in mathematical concepts such as set theory, logic, and proof techniques. A good understanding of linear algebra and calculus is also helpful in understanding more advanced concepts in abstract algebra.