Is the group of positive rational numbers under * cyclic?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Mr Davis 97
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
44

Homework Statement


Is the group of positive rational numbers under multiplication a cyclic group.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


So a group is cyclic if and only if there exists a element in G that generates all of the elements in G.
So the set of positive rational numbers would be cyclic if we could find a fraction a/b such that (a/b)^n, where n is an integer, generates all elements of positive Q.

I feel like the group is not cyclic, which means that I would have to prove that for all elements in positive Q, they don't generate positive Q. I am not sure exactly how to approach this... For (a/b)^n, do I have to find another fraction in terms of a and b such that (a/b)^n can't equal that expression for any n?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What does ##<\frac{1}{2}\; , \;\frac{1}{3}>## mean? I thought that one only looks at what subgroup is generated by a single element, in this case a single fraction
 
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement


Is the group of positive rational numbers under multiplication a cyclic group.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


So a group is cyclic if and only if there exists a element in G that generates all of the elements in G.
So the set of positive rational numbers would be cyclic if we could find a fraction a/b such that (a/b)^n, where n is an integer, generates all elements of positive Q.

I feel like the group is not cyclic, which means that I would have to prove that for all elements in positive Q, they don't generate positive Q. I am not sure exactly how to approach this... For (a/b)^n, do I have to find another fraction in terms of a and b such that (a/b)^n can't equal that expression for any n?
This should work. Solve ##(\frac{a}{b})^n=2## and show that you can't get ##(\frac{a}{b})^m=3## .
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mr Davis 97
Mr Davis 97 said:
What does ##<\frac{1}{2}\; , \;\frac{1}{3}>## mean? I thought that one only looks at what subgroup is generated by a single element, in this case a single fraction
You beat me. I confused addition and multiplication. In general ##<a>## meant to be the group generated by ##a##, so ##<a>=\{a^n\,\vert \,n\in \mathbb{Z}\}## but I was wrong with the example.