1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the group of positive rational numbers under * cyclic?

1. Feb 15, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is the group of positive rational numbers under multiplication a cyclic group.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So a group is cyclic if and only if there exists a element in G that generates all of the elements in G.
    So the set of positive rational numbers would be cyclic if we could find a fraction a/b such that (a/b)^n, where n is an integer, generates all elements of positive Q.

I feel like the group is not cyclic, which means that I would have to prove that for all elements in positive Q, they don't generate positive Q. I am not sure exactly how to approach this... For (a/b)^n, do I have to find another fraction in terms of a and b such that (a/b)^n can't equal that expression for any n?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2017 #2
    What does ##<\frac{1}{2}\; , \;\frac{1}{3}>## mean? I thought that one only looks at what subgroup is generated by a single element, in this case a single fraction

4. Feb 15, 2017 #3

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

This should work. Solve ##(\frac{a}{b})^n=2## and show that you can't get ##(\frac{a}{b})^m=3## .

5. Feb 15, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

You beat me. I confused addition and multiplication. In general ##<a>## meant to be the group generated by ##a##, so ##<a>=\{a^n\,\vert \,n\in \mathbb{Z}\}## but I was wrong with the example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted