[Abstract Algebra] GCD and Relatively Prime Proof

In summary, the gcd of two polynomials is 1 if and only if the ring or field they are over is of characteristic zero.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If [itex]gcd(f(x),g(x)) = 1[/itex] and m,n ∈ ℕ, show that [itex]gcd(f(x)^m, g(x)^n) = 1[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I had previously proved this for non-polynomials:

gcd(a,b)=1
then gcd(a^n,b^n)=1

Proof: a = p1*p2*...*pn
b = p1*p2*...*pm

then
a^n = p1^n*p2^n*...*pn^n
b^n = p1^n*p2^n*...*pm^n

Since a and a^n have the same prime factors and b and b^n have the same prime factors and a and b are relatively prime then a^n and b^n are relatively prime.
I guess, I am looking at this question from the same point of view.

Is there a difference here with polynomials? Why would there be?

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as the underlying ring or field is of characteristic zero there shouldn't be a difference. (Not quite sure about other characteristics.)
However, your proof with the numbers uses the fact that you have a unique integer factorization into primes. You need to assure this for your polynomial ring if you want to adapt the same proof. As far as I can remember this is true for an integral domain. Another proof could be with contradiction: assume there is an irreducible ##p=p(x)## with ##p|f^n## and ##p|g^m##.

Likes RJLiberator
How is this proof:

Since f and g are relatively prime, by Bezout's Identity there exists polynomials p and q such that fp+gq = 1.
Take the (2n-1)th power of both sides.
Any term of the binomial expansion of (fp+gq)^(2n-1) is divisible by one of the f^n or g^n.
Therefore:
1 = (fp+gq)^(2n-1) = f^nP+g^nQ
for some polynomials P and Q. It follows that f^n and g^n are relatively prime.

But does this hold for f^n and g^m ? (different degrees) hm...

I don't think so, right? Since we use (2n-1) as the exponential.

Perhaps this is cleaner / better:

Suppose p is a prime that divides gcd(f^n,g^m)
then p divides f^n and hence divides f. Similarly for g^m. Since gcd(f,g)=1 no such p can exist.

This is proven by:
If p divides f^n, than p divides f. for n>1
Proof using induction: true for n = 1
Assume it is true for n.
Then for n+1 p divides f^(n+1) = f*f^n implies that p divides f or it divides f^n. By hypothesis, p divides f.

However, not sure how this incorporates polynomials or if i even need to (the question doesn't necessarily make any statement about polynomials just is the question stated)

Your first proof is wrong because not every term of the binomial expansion is divided by ##f^n##.
RJLiberator said:
Perhaps this is cleaner / better:

Suppose p is a prime that divides gcd(f^n,g^m)
Let's say ##p## is irreducible instead.
then p divides f^n and hence divides f. Similarly for g^m. Since gcd(f,g)=1 no such p can exist.

This is proven by:
If p divides f^n, than p divides f. for n>1
##n \geq 1##
Proof using induction: true for n = 1
Assume it is true for n.
Then for n+1 p divides f^(n+1) = f*f^n implies that p divides f or it divides f^n. By hypothesis, p divides f.
What is the underlying ring or field for the polynomials? ##ℤ##?
This here is the crucial point: ##p|f \cdot f^n ⇒ p|f ∨ p|f^n##?
Here I think you need the polynomial ring be an integral domain.
However, not sure how this incorporates polynomials or if i even need to (the question doesn't necessarily make any statement about polynomials just is the question stated)
E.g. if ##p(x) = x+1## and ##f(x)=2x## both in ##ℤ_4[x]## then ##p \nmid f## but ##p|f^2=4x^2=0##.
However, I suppose ##ℤ[x]## or a polynomial ring over field of characteristic zero ##(ℚ[x],ℝ[x],ℂ[x])## is meant.
Then everything looks ok.

Likes RJLiberator
Indeed. Thank you for analysis here. (as always)
fresh_42, I bow to you!

1. What is the GCD (Greatest Common Divisor) of two numbers in abstract algebra?

In abstract algebra, the GCD of two numbers is defined as the largest positive integer that can divide both numbers without leaving any remainder.

2. How is the GCD calculated in abstract algebra?

The GCD of two numbers in abstract algebra can be calculated using the Euclidean algorithm, which involves repeatedly dividing the larger number by the smaller number until the remainder is 0.

3. What does it mean for two numbers to be relatively prime in abstract algebra?

Two numbers are relatively prime in abstract algebra if their GCD is equal to 1. This means that the only positive integer that can divide both numbers is 1.

4. How can you prove that two numbers are relatively prime in abstract algebra?

To prove that two numbers are relatively prime in abstract algebra, you can use the Bezout's identity theorem, which states that if two numbers are relatively prime, then there exist integers that can be multiplied with the numbers to get a GCD of 1.

5. Can the GCD and relatively prime property be extended to other algebraic structures?

Yes, the concepts of GCD and relatively prime can be extended to other algebraic structures, such as rings and fields, as long as the structure defines operations of division and multiplication.