1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Algebra: need a review of 1-1 and onto proof

1. Mar 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

define a function f:H--> gHg[itex]^{-1}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    prove if f is 1-1 and onto.

3. The attempt at a solution
    1-1:
    f(h1)=f(h2)
    gh1g[itex]^{-1}[/itex]=gh2g[itex]^{-1}[/itex]
    h1=h2 (left and right cancellations)

onto:
    f(g[itex]^{-1}[/itex]hg)=gg[itex]^{-1}[/itex]hgg[itex]^{-1}[/itex]=h
    so every h belonging to H has an image of g[itex]^{-1}[/itex]hg.
    However,I do not really understand the last line. I followed the example that we did in class but now I am not sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

If you tell me what [itex]H[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] are (I'm assuming there's a group [itex]G[/itex], that [itex]H[/itex] is a subgroup of [itex]G[/itex], and that [itex]g \in G[/itex]) I will know the domain and codomain of [itex]f[/itex], but you haven't said anything about what [itex]f(h)[/itex] is for [itex]h \in H[/itex], so I can't say whether [itex]f[/itex] is injective or surjective.

That's one mystery solved: [itex]f: h \mapsto ghg^{-1}[/itex] and it is indeed 1-1.

No. What you've written here is that if [itex]g^{-1}hg \in H[/itex] then [itex]f(g^{-1}hg) = h \in gHg^{-1}[/itex]. But unless [itex]H[/itex] is normal, and you haven't told me that it is, it may not be the case that if [itex]h \in H[/itex] then [itex]g^{-1}hg \in H[/itex].

To prove that [itex]f[/itex] is onto, you need to start with a [itex]k \in gHg^{-1}[/itex] and show that there exists [itex]h \in H[/itex] such that [itex]f(h) = k[/itex].

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted