Abstract Algebra Proof by induction problem

In summary, the problem requires showing that the nth root of the product of n positive integers is less than or equal to 1/n times the sum of the integers. The attempt at a solution uses induction, starting with the base case of n=1 and assuming the statement holds for an arbitrary integer k. The proof for the (k+1)th root involves using the inequality for the kth root and manipulating it to get the desired result. The source of the problem is from Abstract Algebra, Theory and Applications by T. W. Judson (2013 version).
Isaac Wiebe

Homework Statement

Show via induction that the nth root of (a1 * a2 * a3 * ... an) ≤ 1/ (n) * ∑ ai, where i ranges from 1 to n.

Homework Equations

Induction

The Attempt at a Solution

Let Pn be the statement above. It is clear that P1 holds since a1 ≤ a1. Now let us assume that Pn holds for any arbitrary integer k, that is the kth root of (a1 * a2 * a3 * a4 * ... ak) ≤ 1/k * ∑ ai

where i ranges from 1 to k.

I need to show that the (k + 1)th root is ≤ 1/ (k + 1) * ∑ ai, where i ranges from 1 to k + 1. I have had no such luck doing this. Would complete induction be required here?

The source of the problem is from Abstract Algebra, Theory and Applications from T. W. Judson (2013 version).

Physics news on Phys.org
Isaac Wiebe said:

Homework Statement

Show via induction that the nth root of (a1 * a2 * a3 * ... an) ≤ 1/ (n) * ∑ ai, where i ranges from 1 to n.

Homework Equations

Induction

The Attempt at a Solution

Let Pn be the statement above. It is clear that P1 holds since a1 ≤ a1. Now let us assume that Pn holds for any arbitrary integer k, that is the kth root of (a1 * a2 * a3 * a4 * ... ak) ≤ 1/k * ∑ ai

where i ranges from 1 to k.

I need to show that the (k + 1)th root is ≤ 1/ (k + 1) * ∑ ai, where i ranges from 1 to k + 1. I have had no such luck doing this. Would complete induction be required here?

The source of the problem is from Abstract Algebra, Theory and Applications from T. W. Judson (2013 version).

Are all the ai supposed to be > 0? If so, try first to look at the simple case of n = 2.

Last edited:
All ai ⋲ N, so yes they are. And for n = 2 I eventually receive that √(a1 * a2) ≤ 1/2 (a1 + a2)
Or a1 * a2 ≤ [(a1 + a2)^2] / 4. Not entirely sure why I would want to do multiple base cases, but I think you are on the right track.

1. What is "Proof by induction" in abstract algebra?

Proof by induction is a mathematical technique used to prove statements or theorems about a set of objects, usually numbers or mathematical structures. In abstract algebra, it is used to prove properties of algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields.

2. How does "Proof by induction" work?

In a proof by induction, the first step is to prove that the statement is true for a base case, usually the smallest value of the set of objects. Then, assuming that the statement is true for a particular value, the proof shows that it must also be true for the next value. This process continues until the statement is proven to be true for all values in the set.

3. What is the role of "Abstract Algebra" in "Proof by induction"?

Abstract algebra provides the necessary mathematical structures and concepts for proof by induction to be used. It allows for the manipulation of algebraic expressions and the application of mathematical properties to prove the statement for all values in the set.

4. What are some common challenges in "Proof by induction" for abstract algebra?

One common challenge in proof by induction for abstract algebra is determining the correct base case and the correct way to show that the statement holds for the next value. Additionally, it can be difficult to identify the appropriate mathematical structures and properties to use in the proof.

5. How can one improve their skills in "Proof by induction" for abstract algebra?

To improve skills in proof by induction for abstract algebra, one can practice solving a variety of problems and proofs, as well as studying the fundamental concepts and properties of abstract algebra. It can also be helpful to work with a mentor or take a course in abstract algebra to gain a deeper understanding of the subject.