1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract algebra: proving an ideal is maximal, Constructing quotient rings

1. May 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    M = {(pa,b) | a, b are integers and p is prime}
    Prove that M is a maximal ideal in Z x Z

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that there are two ways to prove an ideal is maximal:

You can show that, in the ring R, whenever J is an ideal such that M is contained by J, then M=J or J=R.

Or you can show that the quotient ring R/M is a field.

I think it will be much easier to show that R/M is a field, but I'm not familiar with how to construct it from the given information. My understanding is that it is the set of all cosets of M (congruence classes modulo M).

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2012 #2
    I assume that p is fixed in M?

Do you know what Z/pZ is isomorphic to, for a given prime p?

Do you know how to show that ZxZ / Zx{0} is isomorphic to Z?

4. May 9, 2012 #3
    P is fixed.

I know that Z/pZ is a field, for a given prime p. Is that what you mean?

To show that ZxZ /Zx{0} is isomorphic to Z, I'd need to create a bijective function from ZxZ / Zx{0} where f(a + b) = f(a) + f(b) and f(ab)= f(a)*f(b).

Are you hinting that since p is a prime integer, Z/M must be a field?

5. May 9, 2012 #4
    Take a look at what M is, when written in the form RxS for the sets R and S. You will see that both R and S are well known sets and that should help you figure out what ZxZ/M should look like.

6. May 9, 2012 #5
    To clarify what I mean, consider that {0}xZ = {(a,b) | a = 0 and b is an integer}.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook