Abstract Algebra: Question About the Elements in U(n)

In summary, the group U(5) has only two elements that satisfy x^2 = 1, and the author is trying to find a way to find another element such that x^2 = 1 for any arbitrary n. He is not getting very far with this line of thought, and is looking for help from an expert in modular arithmetic.
Shoney45

Homework Statement

For any integer n>2, show that there are at least two elements in U(n) that satisfy x^2 = 1.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

If the definition of the group U(n) is "the set of all positive integers less than n and relatively prime to n" then the group U(5) has elements {1,2,3,4}. Clearly then, 1^2 = 1. But I can't drum up any way to get any other elements in the group to equal 1 when squared.

The set U(n) is a group under modulo n, but I am pretty weak on modular arithmetic, and am trying to spend the day boning up on it. So for now, I don't understand how to find another element such that x^2 = 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm starting to figure this one out. I chose the case where n = 5. So the set of elements for U(n) = {1,2,3,4}. And under mod 5, 1^2 - 1 and 4^2 = 1.

I'm trying other mod n's, and it is looking like the integers which will equal 1 when squared are 1, and the largest integer in the set.

I don't know how to generalize this for the arbitrary case though. But I'm trying to screw around with a quadratic equation to see where I can go. Since the largest element in U(n) = n-1, I am looking for an mod n such that (n-1)^2 = 1. But I'm not getting very far with this line of thought.

Last edited:
Here's one way to look at it. In the integers, the equation x2 = 1 has two solutions, namely 1 and -1. Well, this is actually true in U(n) as well, since U(n) is really the multiplicative group [itex] (\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z})^{\times} [/itex]. So how do you write -1 in [itex] \mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z} [/itex]?

(n-1)^2=n^2-2n+1. Reduce those three terms mod n.

Dick said:
(n-1)^2=n^2-2n+1. Reduce those three terms mod n.

I've been searching through my book and the internet, and I can't figure out how to do this. I never learned modular arithmetic in my proofs class, so I am having to learn it on the fly in my modern algebra class. Is there a step in the right direction you could give me on this one?

Two numbers are equal mod n if they differ by an even multiple of n. Can you tell if 0 and n^2 are equal mod n?

1. What is U(n)?

U(n) refers to the group of elements in the ring of integers modulo n that are relatively prime to n. In other words, U(n) consists of all the positive integers less than n that have no common factors with n.

2. How do you determine the elements in U(n)?

To determine the elements in U(n), you need to find all the positive integers less than n that are relatively prime to n. This can be done by using the Euclidean algorithm to find the greatest common divisor (gcd) of each integer with n. If the gcd is 1, then the integer is in U(n).

3. Why is U(n) important in abstract algebra?

U(n) is important in abstract algebra because it is an example of a group, which is a fundamental concept in algebra. It also has applications in number theory and cryptography.

4. How does the size of U(n) relate to n?

The size of U(n) is denoted as φ(n) and is known as Euler's totient function. It is defined as the number of positive integers less than n that are relatively prime to n. The formula for φ(n) is φ(n) = n * (1-1/p1) * (1-1/p2) * ... * (1-1/pk), where p1, p2, ..., pk are the distinct prime factors of n.

5. How do the elements in U(n) behave under multiplication?

The elements in U(n) behave as a group under multiplication. This means that they have closure, associativity, identity, and inverses. In other words, multiplying any two elements in U(n) will result in another element in U(n), multiplication is associative, the identity element is 1, and every element has an inverse in U(n).