Abstract Algebra: Unnecessary Information in D&F Problem Statement?

In summary, the conversation discusses a specific problem in Dummit and Foote regarding ideals in a ring. The first part of the problem is to prove that I(J+K) = IJ+IK and IJ+IK = I(J+K), and the second part is to prove that if J is a subset of I, then I intersected with (J+K) is equal to J+(I intersected with K). The question is raised about whether the information about I, J, and K being ideals is necessary for the proofs. The first proof is given for the first part of the problem, and it is noted that the second proof is analogous. The second part of the problem is corrected to be (I+
n+1

Homework Statement

Problem 35, Section 7.3 of Dummit and Foote:
Let I, J, and K be ideals of R.
(a) Prove that I(J+K) = IJ+IK and IJ+IK = I(J+K).
(b) Prove that if J [itex]\subseteq[/itex] I then I [itex]\cap[/itex] (J + K) = J + (I [itex] \cap[/itex] K).

2. Concern/Question

Despite the problem statement specifically stating that I, J, and K are ideals, this information is irrelevant to the proofs (only that I, J, and K are subrings of R is needed). Am I missing something or is this really just unnecessary information?

3. The Proofs

(a) To prove that [itex] I(J+K) = IJ + IK [/itex], we will show that each set is a subset of the other. To see that [itex]IJ + IK \subseteq I(J+K)[/itex], note that [itex]IJ, IK \subseteq I(J+K)[/itex]; since [itex]I(J+K)[/itex] is a ring, [tex] IJ + IK \subseteq I(J+K) +I(J+K) = I(J+K).[/tex]
To see the opposite inclusion, first consider [itex]x \in I(J+K)[/itex]; [tex] x = i_1(j_1+k_1) + ... + i_n(j_n+k_n)[/tex] for [itex] i_* \in I, j_* \in J, k_* \in K, n \in \mathbb{Z}^+[/itex]. Reorganizing this equation, we get that [tex]x=i_1j_1+...+i_nj_n + i_1k_1 + ... + i_nk_n \in IJ+IK.[/tex] Since [itex]x[/itex] was arbitrary, this gives us the opposite inclusion and, thus, the desired equality. The second proof is analogous to the above one.

(b) Once again, the equality will be proven by showing that each set is a subset of the other. Consider [itex]J+(I\cap K)[/itex]; since [itex]J \subseteq I[/itex] and [itex]I[/itex] is a ring, [itex]J+(I \cap K) \in I[/itex]. Furthermore, every element of [itex]J + (I \cap K)[/itex] can be written as the sum of an element of J and an element of K. Since [itex]I \cap (J+K)[/itex] is the largest such subring of [itex]R[/itex] that satisfies both these properties, [itex]J+(I \cap K) \subseteq I \cap (J+K)[/itex].
Now consider [itex]x \in I \cap (J+K)[/itex]; we can rewrite [itex]x[/itex] as [itex]j+k[/itex] for [itex]j \in J[/itex] and [itex]k \in K[/itex]. Since [itex]J \subseteq I[/itex], [itex]j \in I[/itex] as well, and so since rings are closed under subtraction, [tex] k = x-j \in I [/tex]. Therefore, every [itex]x \in I \cap (J+K)[/itex] can be written as [itex]j+k'[/itex] for [itex]k' \in I \cap K[/itex]. From this, [itex]I \cap (J+K) \subseteq J+(I \cap K)[/itex] follows and, thus, so does the desired equality.

Physics news on Phys.org
For part (a), no second proof is needed. The claim is identical to the first. As a matter of logic, there is no second claim to be proved.

I think the second part (of (a)) should be (I+J)K = IK + JK.

Last edited:
verty said:
I think the second part (of (a)) should be (I+J)K = IK + JK.

This is correct. I can't seem to find the "edit" button for my og post, but when I do, I'll fix that typo.

Also, bump.

Nevermind

NEVERMIND

Whoops! The product of two non-ideal subrings isn't even well defined! While I don't need to mention property of ideals explicitly in my proof, I'm assuming I, J, K are ideal when using terms like I(J+K).

Sorry about bumping the thread just to say that it doesn't need to be addressed anymore.

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of algebraic structures and their properties. It is a generalization of elementary algebra, where the operations and properties of numbers are studied, to more complex structures such as groups, rings, and fields.

2. Why is abstract algebra important?

Abstract algebra is important because it provides a framework for studying and understanding various mathematical concepts and structures in a more abstract and general way. It also has numerous applications in fields such as physics, computer science, and cryptography.

3. What is the unnecessary information in a D&F problem statement?

The unnecessary information in a D&F (Dummit and Foote) problem statement refers to any information that is not relevant to solving the problem or understanding the concepts being taught. This can include irrelevant examples, excessive notation, and extraneous details.

4. How can unnecessary information affect the understanding of a D&F problem?

Unnecessary information can make it more difficult to understand and solve a D&F problem, as it can distract from the important concepts and make it harder to identify the key steps and ideas needed to solve the problem. It can also lead to confusion and errors in the problem-solving process.

5. How can one effectively deal with unnecessary information in a D&F problem statement?

One way to effectively deal with unnecessary information in a D&F problem statement is to carefully read and analyze the problem, identifying the key concepts and steps needed to solve it. It can also be helpful to discuss the problem with others or seek clarification from the instructor if the unnecessary information is causing confusion.