1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract algebra vector space problem

1. Sep 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have a vector space (V, R, +, *) (R being Real numbers, sorry I couldn't get latex work..) with basis V = span( v1,v2). We also have bijection f: R² -> V, such as f(x,y) = x*v1+y*v2.

Assume you have inner-product ( . , . ): V x V -> R. ( you can use it abstractly and assume the axioms hold ). Now we can assemble the inverse map of the given bijection f, such as f⁻¹: V -> R². With the help of inner-product, form a matrix equation to find the coefficient pair f⁻¹(v) in R² for any arbitrary v in V.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried to assemble the matrix, but my problem is, I don't understand how to use the inner-product as an abstract object. I don't see how it helps me to know that i get a real number from the inner-product, since I fail to see what that real number expresses here. As far as I have understood, the inner-product can be defined the way the modeler/mathematician as long as the axioms still hold. Could someone give me any pointers in this? Should I just read definition of inner-products more carefully?
    edit: I figured out something, which seems to be close to it, but it apparently is satisfactory only if basis is an orthogonal basis.

I figured that since we have inner-product, we also have norm, so we get
    A=[[norm(v1) 0];[0 norm(v2)]],
    X=[x y],
    B=v,
    when equation is A*X=B. I'm now struggling to get it work for all basis. Could someone atleast tell me have I got it right so far?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex] <v,v_1>=<xv_1+yv_2,v_1>=x<v_1,v_1>+y<v_2,v_1>[/tex]
    and
    [tex] <v,v_2>=x<v_1,v_2>+y<v_2,v_2>[/tex]

If you know all the inner products how would you solve for x and y?

You can't really do something like what you're trying, because v isn't a vector in R2, and if you want to convert it to one the only way that you have is to get f-1(v), which is what the problem is in the first place

4. Sep 23, 2010 #3
    I see, I went wrong trying to think in R² too much..
    As for the solution, apparently I just have to assemble those inner-products into a matrix now. Could you tell me how you came up with those inner-products? Was it just because there wasn't anything else known? Or was it a sophisticated guess based on experience? I still can't figure out, if those inner-products have somekind of meaning, or are they there just because they happen to solve this particular problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook