Complete the parametric equation for the line where the planes cross

MP97
Homework Statement
Complete the parametric equation for the line where the planes cross.
Relevant Equations
Plane 1: x-12z=-36
Plane 2: -11x16y-14z=-30

Note: the first parametric equation is given as x(t)=-72t
First, I use the unit vector of each plane, and I compute their cross-product to obtain a vector parallel to the line of interception.

Then, I algebraically use x=0 to obtain the coordinates of the point in the line of interception. However, not having a y coordinate in plane one is confusing me.

• Care
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems you're missing a sign in Plane 2. Also, please use Latex for your Math content.

Likes Delta2
MP97 said:
Homework Statement: Complete the parametric equation for the line where the planes cross.
Relevant Equations: Plane 1: x-12z=-36

You haven't mentioned how this equation will come into play.
MP97 said:
First, I use the unit vector of each plane, and I compute their cross-product to obtain a vector parallel to the line of interception.
You don't need a unit vector for each plane, but you do need a normal vector for each one.
MP97 said:
Then, I algebraically use x=0 to obtain the coordinates of the point in the line of interception. However, not having a y coordinate in plane one is confusing me.
You can use the given equation of x as a function of t to solve for z in the first plane, and then use your equations of x and z as functions of t to solve for y in the second plane.

In any case, please show us what you have done.

MP97 said:
Complete the parametric equation for the line where the planes cross.
Plane 1: x-12z=-36
Ok the first one is a plane ...

##x-12z=-36##
##x+36=12z##
##\frac{x}{12}+\frac{36}{12}=z##
##z=\frac{x}{12}+3##

... parallel to the y axis
MP97 said:
An second "plane" is ...

##-11x16y-14z=-30 ##
##-176xy+30=14z##
##z= \frac{-176xy}{14}+\frac{30}{14}##

... is not a plane at all, but a saddle ( hyperbolic paraboloid )....

Wolfram Alpha -> https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=z=+\frac{-176xy}{14}+\frac{30}{14}

MP97 said:

... I don't understand the goal?

Bosko said:
Ok the first one is a plane ...

##x-12z=-36##

... parallel to the y axis

An second "plane" is ...

##-11x16y-14z=-30 ##
##-176xy+30=14z##
##z= \frac{-176xy}{14}+\frac{30}{14}##

... is not a plane at all, but a saddle ( hyperbolic paraboloid )....
Very likely, there is a typographical error in the equation for the second plane. Probably it should be
##\displaystyle -11x+16y-14z=-30 \ \ ## or ##\displaystyle \ \ -11x-16y-14z=-30 ##.

If OP had shown us any significant amount of his work on this problem, the correct equation would have been evident.

Likes WWGD and Bosko
SammyS said:
Very likely, there is a typographical error in the equation for the second plane. Probably it should be
##\displaystyle -11x+16y-14z=-30 \ \ ## or ##\displaystyle \ \ -11x-16y-14z=-30 ##.

If OP had shown us any significant amount of his work on this problem, the correct equation would have been evident.
I had asked for clarification in that respect too.

Bosko said:
##-11x16y-14z=-30 ##
I'm 99.44% certain that the equation above is missing a '+' sign between -11x and 16y.

• Love
Likes Bosko and SammyS
Mark44 said:
I'm 99.44% certain that the equation above is missing a '+' sign between -11x and 16y.
Me to, either + or - sign.

1. How do you determine the parametric equation for the line where two planes intersect?

To find the parametric equation for the line where two planes intersect, first determine the direction vector of the line by taking the cross product of the normal vectors of the two planes. Then, choose a point on the line as the starting point. Finally, use the point and the direction vector to write the parametric equation of the line.

2. Can two planes intersect in more than one line?

No, two planes can only intersect in a single line. This is because two planes are determined by their normal vectors, and if the planes intersect, their normal vectors will be parallel. Therefore, the intersection of two planes will always be a line.

3. What if the planes are parallel or coincident?

If the planes are parallel, they will never intersect, and therefore there will be no line of intersection. If the planes are coincident (meaning they are the same plane), then the line of intersection will be the entire plane itself.

4. How do you know if the planes are intersecting or not?

To determine if two planes are intersecting, you can check if their normal vectors are not parallel. If the normal vectors are not parallel, then the planes will intersect in a line. If the normal vectors are parallel, then the planes are either parallel or coincident.

5. Why is it important to find the line of intersection between two planes?

Finding the line of intersection between two planes is important in various applications of geometry and physics. It helps in determining the relationship between the two planes and can be used to solve problems involving the intersection of surfaces or volumes in 3D space.