1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AC circuit and standing wave questions

1. Dec 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. A 5.0 H inductor is connected to a 120 V rms, 60 Hz ac power supply. Periodically, the energy stored in the inductor reaches a maximum value. What is this maximum value?

A) 0.010 J B) 0.020 J C) 0.40 J D) 0.80 J E) 10.0 J

2. A standing wave on a string is represented by the equation y = A sin (kx) cos (ωt). The distance between consecutive nodes is:

A) ∏/k B) ∏/ω C) 2∏/k D) k/∏ E) ω/∏

3. The attempt at a solution
    These were two questions from an exam I had today and I wanted to check to see if my thinking was correct? For the first question, I put C.

I first found the period, 1/f, and got 1/60 = .0167 sec.

Next, I divided the 120 V rms by 5 H and got an answer of 24 V/H. Finally, I multiplied the frequency into this value and got an answer of 0.40 J. Was this correct?

For number 2, I rationalized that a node corresponds to half of a wavelength, which is equivalent to pi. And I know that k is equal the number of wave peaks in a wave. Therefore, out of the choices possible, I thought that A made the most sense. If anyone could confirm whether or not that is correct, I would appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi Violagirl. It sounds like you evaluated the expression V/(f L) ?

That looks suspiciously close to V/(2 Pi f L) which would be the formula for current. You also need a formula relating energy in an inductor to current in it.

I don't follow that reasoning about k. Take another look at this. First, sketch what the outline (envelope) of the standing wave looks like.

4. Dec 5, 2013 #3
    Thanks for clarifying number 1, it makes more sense now.

For 2, well I know from the equation that k = 2pi/λ. For a standing wave, λ corresponds to 1/2L. And I know it's half a wavelength, it should be equivalent to pi. I guess from there though, I wasn't sure how to understand number 2...

5. Dec 5, 2013 #4

NascentOxygen

Do we? You're talking about the term sin (kx) ?

We know it has a node where kx = 0

6. Dec 5, 2013 #5
    Oooh, true. I guess I was thinking of it in general terms like 0, pi, 2pi, etc. And I guess from a standing wave, since we see one full peak from a standing wave, that I thought that k would correspond to pi since we see it travel from 0 to pi in the distance of a peak. This question was definitely tricky for me to think about.

7. Dec 5, 2013 #6

NascentOxygen

I think you mean the product kx would correspond to Pi, 2Pi, 3Pi, etc., don't you?

8. Dec 5, 2013 #7
    Yes, that is true, kx is what would correspond to pi, 2pi, etc.

9. Dec 6, 2013 #8

NascentOxygen

So what is your answer for (2)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted