• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

AC Circuit: Finding I(t) general question

When you're asked to find I(t) in an AC circuit, what form does I(t) need to be in?
I remember from a long time ago that when the '(t)' is included you have to have it in a specific form.

Answers and Replies

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The correct form is the one which gives a predictions consistent with measurements.

Usually, when the "(t)" (means "function of time") is included, the current is called i(t) and not I(t). Caps are reserved for constants as in ##i(t)=I\cos(\omega t)##.

The exact form that the function i(t) has will depend on the circuit and the driving function ... which, in context, would be given as v(t). The function i(t) will be the solution to the differential equation modelling the system.

For sinusoidal driving functions, you'd have solutions in the form of complex exponentials which may be convenient to write down as trig functions. Impulses, though, produce transients - and, with feedback, the functions can be quite complicated.

The correct form is the one which gives a predictions consistent with measurements.

Usually, when the "(t)" (means "function of time") is included, the current is called i(t) and not I(t). Caps are reserved for constants as in ##i(t)=I\cos(\omega t)##.

The exact form that the function i(t) has will depend on the circuit and the driving function ... which, in context, would be given as v(t). The function i(t) will be the solution to the differential equation modelling the system.

For sinusoidal driving functions, you'd have solutions in the form of complex exponentials which may be convenient to write down as trig functions. Impulses, though, produce transients - and, with feedback, the functions can be quite complicated.
Thank you.

In the book I'm using, they used capital I(t).

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yeh well - it's not compulsory.
Technically you can use any letters you like, as long as you are consistent (or signal your inconsistencies).

The first sentence is the bottom line though.
With the caveats that (a) other people have to be able to understand it, and (b) the examiner has to recognize it as the correct answer for you to get the marks in an exam.
You didn't realize it was this wide open did you? ;)