AC Circuit: Finding I(t) general question

In summary, the form of the function I(t) in an AC circuit is dependent on the circuit and the driving function, and can be written as either complex exponentials or trigonometric functions. The important factor is that it should provide predictions consistent with measurements. The use of capital letters for the function name is not compulsory, as long as it is consistent and understandable.
charlies1902
When you're asked to find I(t) in an AC circuit, what form does I(t) need to be in?
I remember from a long time ago that when the '(t)' is included you have to have it in a specific form.

Physics news on Phys.org
The correct form is the one which gives a predictions consistent with measurements.

Usually, when the "(t)" (means "function of time") is included, the current is called i(t) and not I(t). Caps are reserved for constants as in ##i(t)=I\cos(\omega t)##.

The exact form that the function i(t) has will depend on the circuit and the driving function ... which, in context, would be given as v(t). The function i(t) will be the solution to the differential equation modelling the system.

For sinusoidal driving functions, you'd have solutions in the form of complex exponentials which may be convenient to write down as trig functions. Impulses, though, produce transients - and, with feedback, the functions can be quite complicated.

Simon Bridge said:
The correct form is the one which gives a predictions consistent with measurements.

Usually, when the "(t)" (means "function of time") is included, the current is called i(t) and not I(t). Caps are reserved for constants as in ##i(t)=I\cos(\omega t)##.

The exact form that the function i(t) has will depend on the circuit and the driving function ... which, in context, would be given as v(t). The function i(t) will be the solution to the differential equation modelling the system.

For sinusoidal driving functions, you'd have solutions in the form of complex exponentials which may be convenient to write down as trig functions. Impulses, though, produce transients - and, with feedback, the functions can be quite complicated.
Thank you.

In the book I'm using, they used capital I(t).

Yeh well - it's not compulsory.
Technically you can use any letters you like, as long as you are consistent (or signal your inconsistencies).

The first sentence is the bottom line though.
With the caveats that (a) other people have to be able to understand it, and (b) the examiner has to recognize it as the correct answer for you to get the marks in an exam.
You didn't realize it was this wide open did you? ;)

In an AC circuit, the current is constantly changing direction and magnitude. Therefore, in order to accurately represent the current at any given time, I(t) must be expressed in a time-dependent form. This can be achieved by using either a sinusoidal function, such as I(t) = I0sin(ωt), or a complex exponential function, such as I(t) = I0e^(jωt). Both of these forms allow for the representation of the changing current over time in an AC circuit. It is important to note that the choice of form may depend on the specific circuit and its components, and it is always recommended to check with the circuit's equations and boundary conditions to ensure the correct form of I(t) is being used.

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC circuit is a circuit that has a source of alternating current (AC) rather than direct current (DC). This means that the current changes direction periodically, as opposed to flowing in one direction continuously.

2. How do I calculate the current in an AC circuit?

To calculate the current in an AC circuit, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) equals voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). You will also need to take into account the frequency and phase of the alternating current.

3. What is the general form of I(t) in an AC circuit?

The general form of I(t) in an AC circuit is a sinusoidal function, with the current varying periodically with time. It can be represented by the equation I(t) = I0sin(ωt + φ), where I0 is the amplitude of the current, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

4. How do I find the amplitude of the current in an AC circuit?

The amplitude of the current in an AC circuit can be found by measuring the maximum value of the current over one complete cycle. This can be done using a multimeter or by plotting the current on a graph and finding the peak value.

5. What factors affect the current in an AC circuit?

The current in an AC circuit is affected by the voltage, resistance, frequency, and phase of the alternating current. Additionally, the type of circuit (series or parallel) and the components used (e.g. resistors, capacitors, inductors) will also impact the current in the circuit.