Find the charge q(t) for an LC circuit

In summary, the oscillations will have a frequency of 134.8 Hz and the capacitor will have a charge of 119.2 microC.
sneakycooky

Homework Statement

An LC circuit consists of an 82 mH inductor and a 17 microfarad capacitor that initially carries a 180 microC charge. The switch is open for t < 0 and is then closed at t = 0.
a. Find the frequency of the resulting oscillations.
b. At t = 1 ms, find the charge on the capacitor and the current in the circuit.

Homework Equations

f = (omega)/(2pi)
(omega) = 1/sqrt(LC)

q(t) = (qo)cos([omega][delta t])
I(t) = dq(t)/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I feel pretty comfortable at this part, but just in case, here was my process:

f = (omega)/(2pi)
(omega) = 1/sqrt(LC) = 1/[(82 x 10-3H)(17 x 10-6F)] = 846.97 rad/s
then I use f = (omega)/(2pi) and got 134.8 Hz.

b. This is the part I am not so sure about. I have heard that the phase angle can be negated by implementing the change in time, delta t. I think I have the right formula (but it could be wrong):

Now I plug in the numbers.

q(.001) = (180 x 10-6C)cos([846.97rad/s][.001s]) = 1.192 x 10-4C = 119.2 microC

Now for the current I use I(t) = dq(t)/dt = -(omega)(qo)sin([omega][delta t])

Plugging in numbers gives:

I(.001) = -(846.97rad/s)(180 x 10-6C)sin([846.97rad/s][.001s]) = -0.114 A

I think these are right and that a negative current is fine here, because as far as I know LC circuits are natural AC circuits. Are my calculations and (more importantly) reasonings here correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
sneakycooky said:

Homework Statement

An LC circuit consists of an 82 mH inductor and a 17 microfarad capacitor that initially carries a 180 microC charge. The switch is open for t < 0 and is then closed at t = 0.
a. Find the frequency of the resulting oscillations.
b. At t = 1 ms, find the charge on the capacitor and the current in the circuit.

Homework Equations

f = (omega)/(2pi)
(omega) = 1/sqrt(LC)

I(t) = dq(t)/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I feel pretty comfortable at this part, but just in case, here was my process:

f = (omega)/(2pi)
(omega) = 1/sqrt(LC) = 1/[(82 x 10-3H)(17 x 10-6F)] = 846.97 rad/s
then I use f = (omega)/(2pi) and got 134.8 Hz.

b. This is the part I am not so sure about. I have heard that the phase angle can be negated by implementing the change in time, delta t. I think I have the right formula (but it could be wrong):

Now I plug in the numbers.

q(.001) = (180 x 10-6C)cos([846.97rad/s][.001s]) = 1.192 x 10-4C = 119.2 microC

Now for the current I use I(t) = dq(t)/dt = -(omega)(qo)sin([omega][delta t])

Plugging in numbers gives:

I(.001) = -(846.97rad/s)(180 x 10-6C)sin([846.97rad/s][.001s]) = -0.114 A

I think these are right and that a negative current is fine here, because as far as I know LC circuits are natural AC circuits. Are my calculations and (more importantly) reasonings here correct?
Hello @sneakycooky,

Welcome to PF! :welcome:

Your answers look correct to me. :smile: Good work!

By the way, as you suggest, the phase of the charge on the capacitor changes depending on how everything is initially set up and how you define when the switch is closed and whatnot. You can sanity-check yourself by applying the given boundary condition. For example, in this problem, you know that [itex] Q = Q_0 \cos \left( \omega t + \theta \right) [/itex] and you already know what [itex] Q_0 [/itex] and [itex] \omega [/itex] are. But that's not all you know. You also know that at time [itex] t = 0 [/itex], [itex] Q = Q_0 [/itex]. So go ahead and plug those numbers in and make sure your [itex] \theta = 0 [/itex] assumption makes sense.

Likes berkeman and sneakycooky
collinsmark said:
So go ahead and plug those numbers in and make sure your θ=0θ=0 \theta = 0 assumption makes sense.
Ahhh thanks I see it now.

Qo = Qocos(0) so with those conditions theta must be zero.

Thank you :)

Likes collinsmark

1. What is an LC circuit?

An LC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected together. These components work together to store and release electrical energy, creating oscillations at a specific frequency.

2. How does an LC circuit work?

When an LC circuit is connected to a power source, the capacitor begins to charge. As the capacitor charges, it creates a magnetic field around the inductor. When the capacitor is fully charged, the inductor's magnetic field is at its maximum and the capacitor's electric field is at its maximum. This causes the energy to be transferred back and forth between the inductor and capacitor, resulting in oscillations.

3. What is the equation for finding the charge q(t) in an LC circuit?

The equation for finding the charge q(t) in an LC circuit is q(t) = qmaxcos(ωt), where qmax is the maximum charge on the capacitor and ω is the angular frequency, which is equal to 1/√(LC).

4. How do you calculate the maximum charge on the capacitor in an LC circuit?

The maximum charge on the capacitor in an LC circuit can be calculated using the formula qmax = CVmax, where C is the capacitance of the capacitor and Vmax is the maximum voltage across the capacitor.

5. How do the values of inductance and capacitance affect the charge in an LC circuit?

The values of inductance and capacitance determine the frequency of oscillations and the rate at which energy is transferred between the inductor and capacitor. A higher inductance value will result in a lower frequency and a slower rate of charge and discharge, while a higher capacitance value will result in a higher frequency and a faster rate of charge and discharge.