Academic forgiveness/Second chance and top graduate schools

In summary, the Second Chance program at the university allows a student to have their GPA reset to 0 and be un-reversible. This may help the student's chances of getting into a top-tier graduate school if they show an upward trend.
[Quadratic]
Hello, to make a long story short I had a couple bad semesters and killed my GPA. My personal life was pretty crazy for about 2 years and my motivation and focus on school suffered greatly. I've taken a couple years off from school to get my mind and personal affairs in order and will be returning this coming Fall or in the Spring of 2012 with a much better state of mind. After much deliberation I decided to apply for the Second Chance program at my university, which completely wipes all credit hours earned/attempted and resets my GPA to zero, and is irreversible. The university obliged my request.

My question is what effect will this have on my chances of getting into a top-tier graduate school? My understanding is that even though my GPA has been reset, my history with the university is still shown on my transcript and may be used for graduate school admissions. I would like to complete a couple semesters at my university and then transfer to a larger school to earn my undergrad degree in physics, as that degree is not available where I was attending.

If I can kick some major butt for the next 4 years and have some of the other qualities a school like MIT or Caltech looks for in it's phD candidates, would I have the same chance any other student would have of being accepted? Or would I be at an even greater disadvantage?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So are you starting from the beginning of undergraduate degree?

If so, I doubt it will affect your graduate school chances.

Yep, starting completely from scratch. It isn't too much of an inconvenience for me because I only had 30 something hours.

Thanks for your input, I hope you're right.

Hello, to make a long story short I had a couple bad semesters and killed my GPA. My personal life was pretty crazy for about 2 years and my motivation and focus on school suffered greatly. I've taken a couple years off from school to get my mind and personal affairs in order and will be returning this coming Fall or in the Spring of 2012 with a much better state of mind. After much deliberation I decided to apply for the Second Chance program at my university, which completely wipes all credit hours earned/attempted and resets my GPA to zero, and is irreversible. The university obliged my request.

Wow, I'm surprised that such a program exists. If you don't mind, can you say what the name of the university is? (you can PM it). I'm quite curious

From what I understand and what I'm always told, people in your situation the solution is always to show an upward trend. And if you apply to a top grad school and you're called for an interview, I guess you can explain it to them in the interview. Also you can try and do a lot of outside/extra-curricular stuff and do well on standardized test.

Good luck in your second chance. We all make mistakes / screw up but those that let it keep them down are the ones who succeed. Good luck

Just a note. You should stop thinking in terms of "top graduate schools." Physics graduate school doesn't work according to a ranking, and the more quickly you stop thinking in those terms, the better off you will be.

My question is what effect will this have on my chances of getting into a top-tier graduate school? My understanding is that even though my GPA has been reset, my history with the university is still shown on my transcript and may be used for graduate school admissions.

If you do well, then I can't imagine how it would decrease your chances of getting into physics graduate school versus the situation you were in before.

If I can kick some major butt for the next 4 years and have some of the other qualities a school like MIT or Caltech looks for in it's phD candidates, would I have the same chance any other student would have of being accepted?

Impossible to say as it depends on the the professor that looks at the application.

Edin_Dzeko said:
And if you apply to a top grad school and you're called for an interview, I guess you can explain it to them in the interview. Also you can try and do a lot of outside/extra-curricular stuff and do well on standardized test.

1) Most graduate schools don't do interviews
2) outside/extra-curricular stuff is irrelevant in graduate admissions. Tests other than the PGRE are also generally irrelevant.
3) It's important for undergraduates to spend their undergraduate years to figure out what research they like/don't like doing, and to figure out which particular schools are strong in those areas. There are areas of physics that MIT and Caltech are miserable in, and one mistake that undergraduates make is to look for a "big name" without knowing that these are generally useless.

twofish-quant said:
1) Most graduate schools don't do interviews
2) outside/extra-curricular stuff is irrelevant in graduate admissions. Tests other than the PGRE are also generally irrelevant.
3) It's important for undergraduates to spend their undergraduate years to figure out what research they like/don't like doing, and to figure out which particular schools are strong in those areas. There are areas of physics that MIT and Caltech are miserable in, and one mistake that undergraduates make is to look for a "big name" without knowing that these are generally useless.

Oh I see. The thing is I'm coming from a pre-medical background and for med schools, research and volunteering counts and can be used in your favor. The MCAT (not sure if you're familiar with it) can help an applicant with a decent GPA. So I was speaking from a medical point of view. I didn't know that things were different in engineering

Engineering? Didn't you originally say physics? I'm pretty sure there's a big difference between what engineering grad schools look for and what physics grad schools look for, although I couldn't tell you exactly what it is.

oh sorry, just noticed you're not the OP

1. What is academic forgiveness/second chance and how does it work?

Academic forgiveness/second chance is a policy implemented by some universities that allows students to retake courses in which they received a low grade in order to improve their overall GPA. This policy typically has certain limitations and requirements, such as a maximum number of courses that can be retaken and a time frame for when the retakes must be completed. It is intended to give students a chance to overcome past academic challenges and show their academic improvement.

2. Is academic forgiveness/second chance available at all graduate schools?

No, academic forgiveness/second chance policies vary among graduate schools and may not be available at all schools. It is important to research the specific policies of each graduate school you are considering to determine if academic forgiveness/second chance is an option.

3. How does academic forgiveness/second chance affect graduate school admissions?

Academic forgiveness/second chance may impact graduate school admissions in different ways. Some graduate schools may only consider the retaken grade for a course, while others may include both the original and retaken grade in their evaluation of a student's academic record. It is best to check with the admissions office of the graduate school you are interested in to understand their specific policies.

4. Can I use academic forgiveness/second chance for all the courses I received a low grade in?

As mentioned earlier, academic forgiveness/second chance policies typically have limitations and requirements. Most schools will have a maximum number of courses that can be retaken and may only allow retakes for specific types of courses. It is important to check with your university's policies to determine which courses are eligible for academic forgiveness/second chance.

5. Will graduate schools know if I have used academic forgiveness/second chance?

It is possible that graduate schools may be able to see if you have used academic forgiveness/second chance when reviewing your academic record. Some universities may indicate the use of academic forgiveness/second chance on transcripts, while others may not. It is best to be transparent about your academic record and discuss any use of academic forgiveness/second chance with the admissions office of the graduate school you are applying to.