1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accelaration of a sphere being aimed at a point charge

1. May 9, 2012 #1
    Question

A point charge [itex]q_{1}=15[/itex][itex]\mu[/itex]F is held fixed in space. From a horizontal distance of 4.00cm , a small sphere with mass [itex]4.00\times10^{-3}kg[/itex] and charge [itex]q_{2}=2.00[/itex][itex]\mu[/itex]F is fired toward the fixed charge with an initial speed of 43.0m/s. Gravity can be neglected.

What is the acceleration of the sphere at the instant when its speed is 26.0m/s?

Attempt at the problem

I used F = (Ke X Q1 X Q2) / (r^2)

and then used Ae=Fe/Me

However this is wrong. Does anyone have any ideas which could help me? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What did you use for the distance r? That's the first step: find out where the sphere will be when it reaches the given speed. (Hint: Consider energy.)

Also: what kind of unit is μF? Did you mean μC?

4. May 9, 2012 #3
    Yeah sorry i meant μC and i used the horizontal distance given.
    I take it i should use conservation of energy to find the new distance when it reaches the given speed?

5. May 9, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Exactly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook