Accelerated Physics course with lab options

In summary, Cyrus is looking for an accelerated program that will allow him to get a second bachelors in Electrical Engineering. He has found online courses but is worried about the Physics block. He has considered the Integrated Science Program, but is concerned about the wait list. His original school may be able to offer him a chance to graduate with a double major.
CyrusK
Hey guys,

I checked through previous posts, none that I found quite matched what I'm looking for so i thought I'd create a new one. I apologize in advance if someone finds an identical topic, by all means, link it to me!

Anyway, I'm in a position right now where my job is entirely remote, and I've decided to return to school for a second bachelors in Electrical Engineering. It's something I've always wanted to do, and I don't think i'll get a better opportunity than this. I'm willing to make the sacrifice to my social life, among other things, to get this done.

To do this in a timely manner, I have found online courses to match my needs through Oregon State University, and Rio Salado (Community College in Arizona). Both these provide transferable coursework (with proctored exams) to the Universities I intend to apply to. However, I do not want to take Physics 1 and 2 online, even if lab kits are included. These are courses I'd rather take in person, in an accelerated format if possible.

I've considered the following two programs, and I'm inquiring with the Universities I'm applying to if their courses will transfer, but they do not always provide the Physics courses in their block. It's based on having sufficient enrollment, which is hit or miss.

https://www.integratedscienceprogram.com/accelerated-science-courses/physics-1/

http://www.scuhs.edu/academics/ios/

So my question is this...

I know I'll be paying a penalty (in dollars mostly) to take these courses. If that wasn't a concern, do any of you ladies and gents know of Institutions that provide transferable Physics 1L & 2L courses for non-degree students pressed for time? I'd prefer these courses to be in California (Oregon and Arizona would be runner ups), but I'm determined enough that I would go out of state.

Pre-med accelerated courses seem to be the best options. I know that seems weird, but the subject taught at this level shouldn't matter if it's meant for allied health or STEM degrees. I'll take any advice or options I could get.

thanks in advance guys,

Cyrus

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the first one is an algebra based Physics 1 & 2 program. These are very difficult to transfer for credit into an engineering program (possible if an Engineering Technology program, but there is a difference). These types of programs are used for majors that do not rely upon deeper mathematics. Engineering majors are expected to take calculus based physics.
Not sure about your second reference as it was not nearly as quick or as easy to research.
However, it is very hard to find an online program that will provide you with a decent lab experience. And rushing a STEM type course is also very difficult.
Many schools will allow you to transfer in previous college coursework into their programs. Most have an upper ceiling of 62 credits, but a few (and it is a few, small number) will allow more. What about your original school? Often schools are making even more options available to today's students. Your original school would be the most generous in offering you a chance to graduate with a double major. Admittedly, their offerings may not include what you want or require, but for getting that second bachelors, it would be the fastest.

CalcNerd said:
Well the first one is an algebra based Physics 1 & 2 program. These are very difficult to transfer for credit into an engineering program (possible if an Engineering Technology program, but there is a difference). These types of programs are used for majors that do not rely upon deeper mathematics. Engineering majors are expected to take calculus based physics.
Not sure about your second reference as it was not nearly as quick or as easy to research.
However, it is very hard to find an online program that will provide you with a decent lab experience. And rushing a STEM type course is also very difficult.
Many schools will allow you to transfer in previous college coursework into their programs. Most have an upper ceiling of 62 credits, but a few (and it is a few, small number) will allow more. What about your original school? Often schools are making even more options available to today's students. Your original school would be the most generous in offering you a chance to graduate with a double major. Admittedly, their offerings may not include what you want or require, but for getting that second bachelors, it would be the fastest.

Hey Thanks for your response, really appreciate it.

Firstly, I have found online Physics / lab courses, but I'm looking for a course and lab in person. Specifically one not bottle-necked by wait lists and strict session/semester/quarter blocks. I know I'm asking for a lot there, but never hurts to ask!

I graduated from UCLA, and I intend to use some of the coursework as you suggest to transfer into a new program (along with others taken at OSU and Rio Salado). I've been working with an adviser on this, the only hole in the plan is the physics curriculum.

As for taking courses at UCLA, well, that University is so heavily impacted the door pretty much closes once you get your diploma. There's UCLA extension, but no comparable Physics course.

If need be I suppose I could take the Physics series next fall at Oregon State University, but this is 1) Slow (it would delay me a year) and 2) expensive (even more so than I originally suggested, since it will be over 9 months).

I realize as I type this Oregon State it's probably my best option, but never hurts to ask.

Many schools offer physics courses over the summer. That's accelerated and even tends to have smaller classes. Why not look for that? You'll need calculus-based physics courses.

1. What is an accelerated physics course with lab options?

An accelerated physics course with lab options is a specialized course designed to cover the core concepts and principles of physics in a shorter period of time than a traditional physics course. It also provides students with the opportunity to participate in hands-on lab experiments and activities to enhance their understanding of the subject.

2. Who is eligible to take an accelerated physics course with lab options?

Typically, students who have already completed a basic physics course or have a strong background in math and science are eligible to take an accelerated physics course with lab options. However, eligibility requirements may vary depending on the institution offering the course.

3. What are the advantages of taking an accelerated physics course with lab options?

One of the main advantages of an accelerated physics course with lab options is that it allows students to complete their physics requirements in a shorter amount of time, freeing up space in their schedule for other courses. Additionally, the hands-on lab component provides students with a deeper understanding of the subject matter.

4. What topics are covered in an accelerated physics course with lab options?

An accelerated physics course with lab options covers the same topics as a traditional physics course, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and waves. However, the pace of the course may be quicker and the depth of coverage may be more condensed.

5. Is an accelerated physics course with lab options more challenging than a traditional physics course?

Due to the condensed nature of the course, an accelerated physics course with lab options may be more challenging for some students. However, the hands-on lab component can help reinforce concepts and make the course more engaging for students.