Acceleration and Force question - Thanks

In summary: The component of the weight of block B that is parallel to the plane is F net = (Gravity + Friction) + (normal force of block A). So, the total force on block B along the inclined plane is (Gravity + Friction) + (normal force of block A) = (9.8N + 6.7N)
nukeman

Homework Statement

Image below shows the questions. I need help with B and C - Finding the acceleration and the force...

seub1d.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to find acceleration going down a ramp. So, B and C

Physics news on Phys.org
The starting point is to draw the two FBDs, one for A and one for B. Then someone can help you.

grzz said:
The starting point is to draw the two FBDs, one for A and one for B. Then someone can help you.

umm...yes I know. I already drew the diagrams. As I stated, I need help with B and C.

Box A has a force of Gravity, normal force, friction force, and force from box b.

Box B has a force of gravity, normal force, friction force, and force from box a

Is that correct?

Now use F(net) = ma twice. Once for A and once for B.

grzz said:
Now use F(net) = ma twice. Once for A and once for B.

That cannot be correct. You are not taking account of the 20 degree ramp ??

Use f=ma in the direction parallel down the plane. You have to use component of weight.

Can anyone else help me with B and C ?

I am not sure how to find the acceleration of the system with the friction and 20 degree slope of the ramp, as pointed out in my original post.

THanks

see the attachment to see how one can use F = Ma along the plane.

Attachments

• diagram.doc
    35 KB · Views: 218
Now try to do the same for block A.

grzz said:
Now try to do the same for block A.

I am not trying to find acceleration of one block, but both as a sytem...

Thanks for the diagram!

How do I use F = Ma to find the acceleration in the diagram you gave me?

F would be 100n correct? M would be 15kg correct? a would be ?

I think that you were asked to draw the FBD for EACH block so that you can enter the force required in part (c).
If you treat both as one block, then the force required in (c) will not enter.
That is why I suggested that you use F = Ma for each block seperately.

Oh ok. So, let's say I do that, and start with block A

How do I use F = Ma ? while including the angle and friction? How do I find a?

Thanks!

Let us start with block B so that we can use the diagram in the attachment.
What are the forces acting on B downwards along the inclined plane?

grzz...

Forces acting on B are Gravity, friction in opposite direction of acceleration, and normal force from the ramp, and applired force from block A ?

nukeman said:
Forces acting on B are Gravity,

But the force due to gravity is vertically downwards and we want forces downwards ALONG the inclined plane.

So what do you think we need to do?

grzz said:
But the force due to gravity is vertically downwards and we want forces downwards ALONG the inclined plane.

So what do you think we need to do?

The forces along the plane are just friction?

So, what do we do with that?

for acceleration ?

Part (a) of the question was to draw the FBD for EACH block because this is the starting point of the solution.
You said that you drew these FBDs.
If you look at the FBD for block B there are THREE forces parallel to the plane:
the push of A on B up the plane,the friction of plane on B up the plane and a COMPONENT of the weight of B down the plane.
Now find this component of the weight of B.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object changes its velocity. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. What causes acceleration?

Acceleration is caused by a net force acting on an object. This force can be applied by another object, such as a push or a pull, or it can be due to the force of gravity.

3. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it took to change. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. What is the relationship between acceleration and force?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a larger force will result in a greater acceleration, while a larger mass will result in a smaller acceleration.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can either increase or decrease an object's velocity, depending on the direction of the force causing it. For example, if the force and acceleration are in the same direction, the object's speed will increase. However, if they are in opposite directions, the object's speed will decrease.