Acceleration and tension of pulley system

In summary, the problem involves a 10kg monkey climbing up a massless rope that runs over a frictionless tree limb and back down to a 15kg package on the ground. To lift the package off the ground, the monkey must have a minimum downward force of 49N, and to create this force, the monkey must climb upwards at a rate of 4.9m/s2. When the monkey stops climbing and only holds onto the rope, the acceleration of both the monkey and the package is 1.96m/s2 downwards. The direction of the acceleration is up, and the tension on the rope is 117.6N. The Free-Body Diagram shows gravity downward and tension upward for both the package
Fizic
Honestly I'm not sure if I've made any mistakes here, but I've been having considerable difficulty with tension problems. This is also the first pulley problem I've attempted, so I'm sure I've made a blunder or two somewhere. If someone could review what I've done so far that would be very helpful.

Problem Text:

A 10kg monkey climbs up a massless rope that runs over a frictionless tree limb and back down to a 15kg package on the ground.

A)What is the magnitude of the least acceleration the monkey must have if it is to lift the package off the ground? If, after the package has been lifted the monkey stops climbing and hold onto the rope, what are

B)The magnitude and

C) Direction of the monkey's acceleration, and

D) What is the tension on the rope?

The figure given looks something like this.
_____
|LIMB|
|...|
|...|
|...|
|...|
[M] [P]

MM=10kg
MP=15kg

What I've done

A) The monkey, at rest, pulls on the rope with a downward force of 10kg[itex]\bullet[/itex]9.8m/s2=98N

The package pulls on the rope 15kg[itex]\bullet[/itex]9.8m/s2=147N

To put the package in motion, a net force has to be applied (i.e. the monkey cancels out the normal force). I take this to mean that the monkey must apply a downward force of at least 147N-98N=49N.

To create a force of downward force of 49N, the 10kg monkey must climb upwards at [itex]\frac{49N}{10kg}[/itex]=4.9m/s2.

B) When the monkey stops climbing, the only forces are 147N and 98N by the package and monkey respectively.

The net force will be 49 N downwards on the package side.

The acceleration will therefore be [itex]\frac{49N}{10kg+15kg}[/itex]=1.96m/s2

C) Up

D) Fnet=1.96m/s[itex]\bullet[/itex]15kg=29.4N

Ftension=Fgravity-Fnet

=147N-29.5N

=117.6N

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution is correct. Nice work!

In case of such pulley-rope-tension problems you assume that the rope has no mass (unless it stated otherwise). If there is no other force acting on the rope but those at the end , these forces must be equal. The rope pulls back at the same force: that is called tension, and the tension is the same all along the rope.

With two bodies hanging on the rope draw a Free-Body Diagram (FBD) showing the forces exerted on both bodies. See attachment.

There is gravity downward and tension upward both for the package and the monkey. The net force =ma.

For the package: T-mpg=map
For the monkey: T-mmg=mam

The package just starts to accelerate, ap≥0, so T-mpg≥0. Choose ap=0, T=mpg, substitute for T and solve for am.

When the monkey does not climb any more, the length of the rope does not change. The package will descend the same distance as the monkey raises: ap=-am. Solve the system of equation with that condition.

ehild

Attachments

• monkeyclimb.JPG
    monkeyclimb.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,361

1. What is acceleration in a pulley system?

Acceleration in a pulley system refers to the rate of change of the velocity of the system. It is a measure of how quickly the speed or direction of the system is changing.

2. How is acceleration calculated in a pulley system?

Acceleration in a pulley system can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What is tension in a pulley system?

Tension in a pulley system refers to the pulling force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable. It is the same throughout the entire length of the string and acts in the direction of the string.

4. How is tension calculated in a pulley system?

Tension in a pulley system can be calculated by using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In a pulley system, this can be represented by the formula T = ma, where T is tension, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

5. How does the number of pulleys affect the acceleration and tension in a pulley system?

The number of pulleys in a system does not affect the acceleration or tension. The only factors that affect acceleration and tension are the mass of the objects involved and the forces acting on them, such as gravity, friction, and applied forces.