1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration as a Motion or not a Motion

1. Mar 29, 2015 #1
    Okay so for online physics I have to write an argumentative essay on Acceleration. The argument is simply whether acceleration is a motion or is not a motion. I took the stand that acceleration is a motion. However, the rubric requires that I write about the counterclaim obviously, which is that "acceleration is not a motion."
    I do not know how to write about this, or what to write about this counterclaim. I have messaged the teacher two different times asking for tips, but her help is no good.
    So, basically, I have to write a paragraph explaining how acceleration is not a motion. Here are the guidelines the essay is following for this counterclaim paragraph. All help is appreciated! Thanks. :)

Your acknowledgement of the claim that is opposite to the claim you are supporting. This is called a counterclaim. Think about the specific concepts, laws and key terms about motion that help you to point out the strengths and reasoning of the counterclaim.
    a.) Supply the most relevant evidence and the reasoning of the counterclaim. Identify the strength. Remain objective, neutral, and accurate in this section: What are the strengths and reasonable points the counterclaim is presenting? What are the scientific concept and reasoning that support the counter claim?
    b.) Point out the limitations of the counterclaim: What are the shortcomings of the counterclaim? What makes this counter claim less reasonable than the claim you are supporting?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Throw a stone straight up. At its highest point, is it moving? Is it accelerating?

4. Mar 29, 2015 #3
    I believe it is not moving, correct? haha

5. Mar 29, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The velocity is considered zero, instantaneously. But is that the same as motionless?

6. Mar 29, 2015 #5
    Forces are described by F= ma but the body doesn't have to be moving to experience a force.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  7. Mar 29, 2015 #6
    Okay so the velocity is considered zero. What would the acceleration be? Zero then also?
    I am just having such difficulty figuring out "supporting evidence" of acceleration not being motion.

8. Mar 29, 2015 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A stone in free fall having zero acceleration? What do you think?

9. Mar 29, 2015 #8
    Perhaps start by making a list of circumstances wherein something (yourself, a baseball, a spaceship, etc) could be considered under acceleration.

Look up the formulas that both describe and include acceleration.

See what wikipedia (and a few basic science sites) have to say on the definition and subject of acceleration.

That all should get you moving in the right direction.

Good luck.

diogenesNY

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted