Acceleration, magnitude, displacement.

In summary, a spaceship is observed traveling in the positive x direction at 150m/s and then begins accelerating at a constant rate. After 25 seconds, it is observed to be traveling with an instantaneous velocity of 1500m/s at an angle of 55 degrees above the x+ axis. The acceleration in the x direction (Ax) can be calculated using the formula a= delta v/delta t and is found to be 54 m/s^2. The acceleration in the y direction (Ay) can be calculated using the formula a= delta v/delta t and is found to be 0.0819 m/s^2. The magnitude of the acceleration during the 25 seconds is found to be 1492
mimibajiduh

Homework Statement

a spaceship is observed traveling in the positive x direction with a speed of 150m/s when it begins accelerating at a constant rate. the spaceship is observed 25s later traveling with an instantaneous velocity 1500m/s at an angle of 55 degrees above the x+ axis. a.) calculate the acceleration of the spaceship in the x direction, Ax, and in the y direction, Ay, during 25 seconds. what was the magnitude of the spaceship's acceleration during the 25 seconds? b.) what was the magnitude of the displacement of the spaceship after 25 seconds?

Homework Equations

a= delta v/ delta t

X= 1/2(Vo+V)t

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a i attempted it but i didnt get anything right:

cos55((150m/s)/(150 m/s)) = .0574 in positive x direction.
sin55((150m/s)/(150 m/s)) = .0819 in positive y direction.

a= delta v/delta t
1500-150/25-0 = 1350/25 = 54 m/s^2

magnitude: 1500^2/150^2 =150^2/150^2 +b^2
= sq. root of 2250000-22500 = b
b= 1492 m/s

part b)
X= 1/2 (Vo+V)t
1/2(150+1500)25s
X= 20625 m/s^2 in positive x direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
please help me out with this. i want to know what i did wrong.

i was thinking for the acceleration part, maybe i am supposed to switch the values? so it would be 150-1500/0-25?

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) or in units of gravity (g).

3. What is magnitude?

Magnitude is the size or extent of a physical quantity, such as acceleration. It is often represented by a numerical value and a unit of measurement.

4. How is magnitude related to acceleration?

In the context of acceleration, magnitude refers to the strength or intensity of the acceleration. A higher magnitude of acceleration means a greater change in velocity over time.

5. What is displacement?

Displacement is the distance and direction an object has moved from its starting position. It is different from distance, which refers to the total length of the path traveled by an object.