1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion along a straight line (Finding acceleration).

1. Jul 3, 2015 #1
    Figure 2-24 shows a red car and a green car that move toward each other. Figure 2-25 is a graph of their motion, showing the positions xg0 = 270 m and xr0 = -35 m at time t = 0. The green car has a constant speed of -20 m/s and the red car begins from rest. What is the acceleration magnitude of the red car?
    The graph of their motion shows the two cars intersect their position at t = 12 seconds.

I started out by interpreting the labels and information.
    Xo (g) : 270m
    Xo (r) : -35m
    (Constant) V (g) : -20m/s
    Vo (r) : 0 m/s.
    t = 12 seconds.

1. I used the formula X = Xo + ( V - Vo/ 2 )t to get the position at which the cars meet.

X = 270 + (-20/2)12

X = 150m,

Then I used the formula X = Xo + Vot + 1/2at^2 to get the acceleration of the red car.

150 = -35 + 0 (12) + 1/2a(12)^2.

This yielded a = 1.68 m/s*s

The answer is supposed to be a= 0.9m/s*s.

Where did I go wrong? Was my interpretation of the data incorrect? Or just the way I plugged in the data?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you post the two figures associated with this problem?

4. Jul 5, 2015 #3
    11668050_1142578102425170_817929921_n.jpg

5. Jul 5, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why? The green car has a constant speed of -20 m/s, according to the problem statement.

What's the correct formula for finding distance traveled for an object traveling at constant speed?

This distance X doesn't appear to be correct, just by looking at the graph which shows the motion of the cars versus time.

I think the second part of your work went wrong because you made the mistakes in the first part, as discussed above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted