Acceleration of a Particle Due to Magnetic Field

In summary, a particle with a mass of 2.0 mg and a charge of -6.0 μC moves with a velocity of 3.0 km/s in the positive direction along the x-axis. When it enters a magnetic field of (2i + 3j + 4k) mT, it experiences an acceleration of 0.036j - 0.027k m/s^2. The correct answer is (36j - 27k) m/s^2.
Hamzaa5623

Homework Statement

A particle (mass = 2.0 mg, charge = -6.0 μC) moves in the positive direction along the x-axis with a velocity of 3.0 km/s. It enters a magnetic field of (2i + 3j + 4k) mT. What is the acceleration of the particle in component form?

Homework Equations

F = q(vXB)
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

First convert all values to SI units:
mass = 0.002 kg
q = -6x10^-6 C
v = 3000 i m/s
B = (0.002i + 0.003j + 0.004k) T

Find vXB:
vXB = -12j + 9k

Plug vXB and q into F = q(vXB) and find a:

F = (-6x10^-6)(-12j + 9k) = ma
a = (7.2x10^-5 j - 5.4X10^-5 k) / 0.002
a = 0.036j - 0.027k m/s^2

However the correct answer provided to me is:
(36j - 27k) m/s^2

I think i made a mistake converting the units for B from mT to T. I'm not sure how to convert units for vector components.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never-mind I found my mistake. I didn't convert the mass correctly.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the equation for calculating the acceleration of a particle due to a magnetic field?

The equation for calculating the acceleration of a particle due to a magnetic field is given by F = qv x B, where F is the magnetic force, q is the charge of the particle, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field strength.

2. How does the direction of the magnetic field impact the acceleration of a particle?

The direction of the magnetic field has a significant impact on the acceleration of a particle. The force acting on a charged particle due to a magnetic field is always perpendicular to the particle's velocity and the direction of the magnetic field. This results in a circular motion of the particle, with the radius of the circle depending on the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

3. What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform magnetic fields in regards to particle acceleration?

A uniform magnetic field has the same strength and direction at all points in space, resulting in a constant acceleration of a charged particle. In contrast, a non-uniform magnetic field has varying strength and direction, leading to a varying acceleration of the particle.

4. How does the mass of the particle affect its acceleration in a magnetic field?

The mass of the particle does not directly affect its acceleration in a magnetic field. This is because the magnetic force acting on a charged particle is proportional to its charge and velocity, not its mass. However, the mass of the particle can indirectly impact its acceleration by affecting its velocity and therefore the strength of the force acting on it.

5. Can the acceleration of a particle in a magnetic field be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a particle in a magnetic field can be negative. This occurs when the velocity of the particle is in the opposite direction of the magnetic field, causing the resulting force to be in the opposite direction as well. In this case, the particle will experience a deceleration or a change in direction, resulting in a negative acceleration value.