Finding acceleration of a particle due to the magnetic field

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionSo I figured that since the velocity is in the positive x direction, and the x component of the magnetic field is also in a positive direction, the angle between them is 0 and so I can just not worry about the x component.To get Fj, I have Fj = qvBsin(90), since j is in the positive y direction and the velocity is in the positive x direction. This gives me a force of -5.4 x 10-5, which if I divide by the mass, I get a = -.027 m/s2. I do the same for the k component, which I think the angle separating the field and the velocity is also
fruitbubbles

Homework Statement

A particle (mass 2.0 mg, charge –6.0 µC) moves in the positive direction along the x-axis with a velocity of 3.0 km/s. It enters a magnetic field of (2.0i + 3.0j + 4.0k) mT. What is the acceleration of the particle?

Homework Equations

F = ma to find the acceleration
F = qv x B to find the force of the magnetic field

The Attempt at a Solution

So I figured that since the velocity is in the positive x direction, and the x component of the magnetic field is also in a positive direction, the angle between them is 0 and so I can just not worry about the x component.

To get Fj, I have Fj = qvBsin(90), since j is in the positive y direction and the velocity is in the positive x direction. This gives me a force of -5.4 x 10-5, which if I divide by the mass, I get a = -.027 m/s2. I do the same for the k component, which I think the angle separating the field and the velocity is also 90 degrees, so Fk = qvBsin(90), which I get to be -7.2 x 10-5, and if I divide by the mass, I get a = -0.036 m/s2.

so my final answer would be a = (-.027j - 0.036k)m/s2. That is not one of my answer choices, which are as follows:

However, the correct answer is (36j - 27k)m/s2. My order of magnitude is wrong but so are the vectors (my answer has 27j, the correct is 27k, and the same for 36). I'm really bad with dealing with vectors so I'm sure that's the problem, but can anyone guide me to the correct answer?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
fruitbubbles said:
So I figured that since the velocity is in the positive x direction, and the x component of the magnetic field is also in a positive direction, the angle between them is 0 and so I can just not worry about the x component.
... why not check that by computing the determinant for the cross product?

Simon Bridge said:
... why not check that by computing the determinant for the cross product?
..I do not have the slightest idea as to what that is.

fruitbubbles said:
..I do not have the slightest idea as to what that is.
Okay, I just looked at my notes and see what you mean, but I don't understand why sometimes I can just do the cross product of A x B as ABsin(theta) and sometimes I have to do all of that. I have no clue what it means

For two vectors given by:
##\vec r_1 = a\hat \imath + b\hat\jmath + c\hat k##
##\vec r_2 = d\hat \imath + e\hat\jmath + f\hat k##

Then the cross product is given by:
$$\vec r_1\times\vec r_2 = \begin{vmatrix} \hat\imath & \hat\jmath & \hat k\\ a & b & c \\ d & e & f \end{vmatrix}$$

Likes fruitbubbles
If you correctly guess the angle, you can use ##ABsin\theta## to get the magitude and the right-hand rule to get the direction.

Go through the working for the determinant a step at a time and compare with your assumptions from before. i.e. can you safely ignore the x component of the magnetic field? Can you take the other components separately like you did? Did you absently switch two components over?

Last edited:
Likes fruitbubbles

What is acceleration due to the magnetic field?

Acceleration due to the magnetic field is the change in velocity of a charged particle as it moves through a magnetic field. It is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the charged particle's electric field.

How is acceleration due to the magnetic field calculated?

The acceleration due to the magnetic field can be calculated using the formula a = qv x B, where q is the charge of the particle, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field strength.

What factors affect the acceleration of a particle in a magnetic field?

The acceleration of a particle in a magnetic field is affected by the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the charge and velocity of the particle, and the mass of the particle.

How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the acceleration of a particle?

The direction of the magnetic field determines the direction of the force acting on the charged particle, which in turn affects the direction of the acceleration. The force is always perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the particle's velocity.

What are some real-world applications of finding acceleration due to the magnetic field?

Finding the acceleration of particles due to magnetic fields is important in many areas of science and technology, such as particle accelerators, MRI machines, and electric motors. It is also used in studying the behavior of charged particles in space, such as in the Earth's magnetic field and in the solar wind.