1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform magnetic field and electric field

1. Mar 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How would you find the period of a charged particle in an uniform electric and magnetic field?
    The charged particle has velocity that is perpendicular to the magnetic and electric field (which are directed in the x-axis).

2. Relevant equations
    F=q(E+vxB)

3. The attempt at a solution
    In the absence of an electric field, I see that the period is given by T=2pi(m/qB). Not sure how I can find it when an electric field is present.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2014 #2
    Hey, when you say period, do you mean that the particle is orbiting something?

4. Mar 16, 2014 #3
    I misunderstood the question, but I need to find the magnitude of the velocity after 'c' revolutions.

5. Mar 16, 2014 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What does "directed in the x-axis" mean? If you were to write the three Cartesian components of, say, the electric field vector, what might it look like?

6. Mar 16, 2014 #5
    I am lost with this question, but to go about finding the velocity at time t I think it's v=q/m (integral)[E+vxB]dt, it's just the limits of integration I'm not able to find.

Thanks for replying.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted