Uniform magnetic field and electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the period of a charged particle in an uniform electric and magnetic field when the particle's velocity is perpendicular to the fields. The conversation also touches upon the equation for period in the absence of an electric field and clarifies the meaning of "directed in the x-axis." The question of finding the velocity after a certain number of revolutions is also mentioned.
Sixty3

Homework Statement

How would you find the period of a charged particle in an uniform electric and magnetic field?
The charged particle has velocity that is perpendicular to the magnetic and electric field (which are directed in the x-axis).

Homework Equations

F=q(E+vxB)

The Attempt at a Solution

In the absence of an electric field, I see that the period is given by T=2pi(m/qB). Not sure how I can find it when an electric field is present.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, when you say period, do you mean that the particle is orbiting something?

I misunderstood the question, but I need to find the magnitude of the velocity after 'c' revolutions.

What does "directed in the x-axis" mean? If you were to write the three Cartesian components of, say, the electric field vector, what might it look like?

I am lost with this question, but to go about finding the velocity at time t I think it's v=q/m (integral)[E+vxB]dt, it's just the limits of integration I'm not able to find.

Thanks for replying.

1. What is a uniform magnetic field?

A uniform magnetic field is a region in space where the magnetic field strength and direction remain constant. This means that the field lines are evenly spaced and parallel to each other.

2. How is a uniform magnetic field created?

A uniform magnetic field can be created by placing a permanent magnet or an electromagnet in a specific configuration. It can also be produced by passing a current through a coil of wire.

3. What are the properties of a uniform magnetic field?

A uniform magnetic field has the following properties:
- It exerts a force on moving charged particles.
- It can exert a torque on a magnet or a magnetic dipole.
- It can store energy.
- Its strength is measured in units of Teslas (T).
- Its direction is indicated by the direction of the field lines.

4. How is a uniform electric field different from a uniform magnetic field?

A uniform electric field is created by stationary electric charges, while a uniform magnetic field is created by moving electric charges. Additionally, an electric field exerts a force on stationary charges, while a magnetic field only affects moving charges.

5. How are uniform electric and magnetic fields used in everyday life?

Uniform electric and magnetic fields have various practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in medical imaging techniques like MRI, and in particle accelerators for research purposes. Additionally, they play a crucial role in the functioning of electronic devices like speakers and hard drives.