• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Acceleration of a Sphere with a Charge

1. Homework Statement
Two Charged spheres are positioned on a horizontal, frictionless insulating surface, as shown below.

I attached the image at the bottom of the post.

2. Homework Equations
Coulombs Law and F=ma

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I plugged in ((8.99 x 10^9)(5.0 x 10^-7)(5.0 x 10^-7))/(1.25)^2

Once I got the answer I used F=ma to find the acceleration which is 9.59 x 10^-2 m/s

I believe this is the correct answer. I was wondering if one of the spheres is negative would I go about answering the question in the same way. Or would I have to factor in other things.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

It sounds like the initial acceleration would only differ in sign, same force, same mass. But theres much more to it, as you may suspect. If you release 2 oppositely charged objects, they will attract toward each other with decreasing distance and increasing force. The acceleration would increase until they collide. For 2 like charged objects, they will repel away from each other with increasing distance and decreasing force. The acceleration will decrease as the force approaches zero, and a final velocity is reached when the objects are at infinity. Because these situations deal with varying force/acceleration, its usually better to think in terms of energy.