Acceleration of Book on Incline: Forces & Friction Analysis

  • Thread starter Thread starter Vii
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Forces Incline
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Vii
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The 3.91 kg physics book shown is connected by a string to a 519.0 g coffee cup. The book is given a push up the slope and released with a speed of 3.99 m/s. The coefficients of friction are μs = 0.457 and μk = 0.330. What is the acceleration of the book if the slope is inclined at 21.7°?

Homework Equations



[tex]F_N_E_T=ma[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I've tried splitting the equation into two: the book and the coffee mug.

COFFEE MUG:

[tex]F_N_E_T=\vec{F}_g - \vec{F}_T[/tex]
[tex]ma=mg - T[/tex]
[tex]0.519a=(0.519)(9.8)-T[/tex]
[tex]T=5.0862-0.519a[/tex]

BOOK:

I've split weight into its x and y components.

[tex]F_N_E_T = T + W_x - F_k_i_n_e_t_i_c[/tex]
[tex]ma = T + W_x - F_k_i_n_e_t_i_c[/tex]
[tex]3.91a = T + 8.152[/tex]
[tex]T = 3.91a - 8.152[/tex]

Then I equated T and solved for a. But I'm still getting the wrong answer...
 
Physics news on Phys.org