Acceleration of gravity in space.

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for determining the velocity of two objects at the point where gravity pulls them together. The formula uses conservation of energy and takes into account the objects' initial positions and masses. It also mentions using the formula for acceleration to find the speed and location of the objects at any given time.
loafula
I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me. If you had two objects in space X distance from each other, is there a formula to determine what their velocity would be at the point where gravity finally pulls them together? Let's assume that the objects smack into each other instead of orbiting each other, and that there are no other forces acting on the objects.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi loafula! :wink:

Yes, it's conservation of energy

KE + PE is constant, so if you know the original PE ( the potential energy ), you can find the KE, and therefore the speeds. :smile:

Thanks Tim!
I understand that KE would equal the PE from the objects initially moving apart, but is there a way to determine velocity two objects would have at any given point along their paths toward each other? Assume the two objects are of equal mass, and have an initial velocity of zero.

Equal mass or not, it'll always be minus the PE of their relative position. :wink:

loafula said:
Thanks Tim!
I understand that KE would equal the PE from the objects initially moving apart, but is there a way to determine velocity two objects would have at any given point along their paths toward each other? Assume the two objects are of equal mass, and have an initial velocity of zero.

Find the PE of the objects at their initial distance.
Find the PE of the objects for the distance between them at the given point.
Take the difference.
Use this answer and the formula for kinetic energy to find what velocity either mass has at that point.

cant you just find the acceleration with the gravity's formula and Newton's second law's formula? (if I am worng, please don't kill me). wouldn't be any point to it though after what you guys said.

fawk3s said:
cant you just find the acceleration with the gravity's formula and Newton's second law's formula? (if I am worng, please don't kill me). wouldn't be any point to it though after what you guys said.

I am understanding that we need only consider the forces between the 2 bodies.

We have
[tex] F_{12} = F_{21}= F = G \frac {m_1 m_2} d [/tex]

Where d is the distance between the 2 bodies.
We also need for d to be much greater then any dimension of either of the bodies.

For the acceleration of body 1 we have:
[tex] a_1 = \frac F {m_1} [/tex]

For body 2
[tex] a_2 = \frac F {m_2} [/tex]

Now set up a coordinate system with the Origin at the Center of Mass of the 2 bodies.

You now have 2 differential equations from which you can find the speed and location of either body and any time.

What is acceleration of gravity in space?

The acceleration of gravity in space refers to the rate at which an object falls towards a larger body, such as a planet or moon, due to the force of gravity. It is commonly represented by the symbol "g".

How is the acceleration of gravity in space calculated?

The acceleration of gravity in space is calculated using the formula g = GM/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger body, and r is the distance between the object and the larger body.

Is the acceleration of gravity in space constant?

No, the acceleration of gravity in space is not constant. It varies depending on the mass and distance of the larger body, as well as any other objects that may be exerting gravitational force.

How does the acceleration of gravity in space differ from that on Earth?

The acceleration of gravity in space is generally lower than that on Earth, as Earth's larger mass and closer distance results in a stronger gravitational force. Additionally, the acceleration of gravity in space can vary between different planets and moons.

Can the acceleration of gravity in space be manipulated?

Yes, the acceleration of gravity in space can be manipulated by changing factors such as the mass and distance of the larger body, or by introducing other objects that may affect the gravitational force. This is often done in scientific experiments and simulations to study the effects of different gravitational forces.